Arapaho Traverse or Navajo/Apache?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Arapaho Traverse or Navajo/Apache?

Post by bdloftin77 »

I'm trying to figure out what I should do this Sunday. I've been wanting to do the S-N-S Arapaho traverse for a while, but have also been eyeing Najavo and Apache. Which do you find more enjoyable? Other options in my mind are the Crestones traverse, or Meeker/Longs/Lady Washington. For the latter, possibly Meeker's ridge and the Iron Gates, then Longs, then Lady Washington on the way down.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Arapaho Traverse or Navajo/Apache?

Post by AlexeyD »

bdloftin77 wrote:I'm trying to figure out what I should do this Sunday. I've been wanting to do the S-N-S Arapaho traverse for a while, but have also been eyeing Najavo and Apache. Which do you find more enjoyable? Other options in my mind are the Crestones traverse, or Meeker/Longs/Lady Washington. For the latter, possibly Meeker's ridge and the Iron Gates, then Longs, then Lady Washington on the way down.
Which routes on Apache/Navajo?

In any event, the Arapahos will almost certainly be the shorter and less involved of the IPW options. So it kind of depends on what you're going for: short and high on the fun list, or a longer, more full day that has a more mountaineering feel to it?
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

Arapaho traverse is a blast and one of my all time favorites. I enjoyed Navajo as well but the class 3 is very minimal if you do it from Airplane Gully, so if you want a lot of scrambling, this isn't the one you want. The wreckage is pretty cool and the summit is very airy. Other than that, the gully is a steep slog. I haven't done Apache and am not familiar with how to link it with Navajo. Can't go wrong with either. Have fun!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

There is still snow in Queen Ann's Way up Apache, as of August 4th. Plus snow on the approach to the upper bench on the way to Airplane Gully. I believe I have a TR on the Apache to Navajo traverse with descent down Airplane - Class 4.

While the Arapaho traverse would be fully snow free and shorter. Both are great!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
WishIWasInTheMts
14ers: 36 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WishIWasInTheMts »

bergsteigen wrote: I believe I have a TR on the Apache to Navajo traverse with descent down Airplane - Class 4.
Nice trip report, bergsteigen! I think I'll have to make a return trip to Navajo and do this variation, looks like a lot of fun.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

I've only done those two separately: Apache via the like-named couloir and down Queen's Way, and Navajo via the fifth-class north ridge and down Airplane Gully. Both included steep snow climbing, and are great mountaineering routes, but I would probably not want to do either route this late in the season.
bdloftin77
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Thanks! I hadn't looked a whole lot into Navajo/Apache routes yet, it was just a thought. The Arapaho traverse does seem like a relatively short day from what I've seen. And fun, by what people are saying. :) With the decent weather forecast, I'm pretty open I think. A shorter, fun day would be good, or a longer, fuller one. I do enjoy scrambling a lot though.

How does Meeker compare to the Arapaho traverse, fun-wise? It looks like that ridge, with the knife edge and all, would be pretty cool.

My first choice was the Crestones traverse, (I had done both separately before, but would like to do the traverse this summer). The forecast was pretty good at first, now it's at partly sunny, 10% precip in the morning and 60% after noon. Which isn't horrible, but it would be super cool to do that on a bluebird day, maybe in September if the weather mellows out then. For N Arapaho, it's sunny, then 10%! For Longs, it's sunny, then 20%. Both of which look pretty good.. So I might be leaning toward one of those.

I ordered Colorado Scrambles: Off the Beaten path by Dave Cooper from Barnes and Noble yesterday. Hear it's super good! Now that I'm almost done with the 14ers, I think I'll look more for fun scrambles, as well as starting on some of the Centennial 13ers.
Mtnman200
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

I did a trip report earlier this week on the Arapaho traverse. It was a lot of fun, but you need to be comfortable with routefinding and exposure. You should be able to do the roundtrip traverse in less than 3 hours.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

bergsteigen wrote: I believe I have a TR on the Apache to Navajo traverse with descent down Airplane - Class 4.
I assure you, you did post such a report. :lol:
It's believed that a friend and I did the same route (with much less snow) one September and had a blast.
I found Apache-Navajo to be my favorite of the IPW 13er twosomes, a bit more challenging and likely less crowded than the Arapahoe traverse.
The Arapahoes are no slouch, though.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Did Arapho Traverse (with WishIwasinthemtns) a few weeks ago. It was a blast for sure and you won't go wrong with that one. Our group had no problems with routefinding, and we did the traverse in 1 hour each way. On Sunday my wife and I are considering going up Apache via the ledges and then traversing to Navajo via the ridge and down Airplane Gully. Looks like a fun duo, especially the chimney going up to Navajo.

Good luck, and if you pick that option I may see you Sunday.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.