Looking for an old Gore range Trip Report

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Leanne
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for an old Gore range Trip Report

Post by Leanne »

A few years ago, in 2013 maybe, I read a really amazing trip report to Peak C or Mt. Powell (can't remember which) from Piney Lake Trailhead. I wanted to show it to a friend, but I can't seem to find it now that 13ers.com has migrated to 14ers.com

The trip report was in the fall had a ton of spectacular photos of the changing aspens and wildlife. The author captioned a lot of the wildlife photos with "Are you Lord Gore?" and most the landscape photos had Lord of the Rings quotes.

Anyone remember that trip report and know where to find it? I've searched this site and the google, but can't find the trip report or even the photos from it. Thanks!
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Looking for an old Gore range Trip Report

Post by Monster5 »

From the description, I would've guessed piper14er (Al), but I can't find it either.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
SuperPolok
14ers: 58 
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

I know the report you're talking about. If I remember correctly it was kimo who wrote that. Is he still on the site anymore?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Hmmmm. There are certain users who delete (or maybe disable?) their TR's on occasion. Not always sure why. There is one who had her account hacked and some freak deleted her TR's.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Leanne, I have turned the report back on. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12755

Otina, I turn them off for various reasons. I wrote nearly 100 trip reports but I think only 10 or so are up. My sea to summit Haleakala report was the #1 hit when searching on Google so I turned it off. I did not want to contribute to an increase in use on that hiking route. The trail head is small and located in a mostly native Hawaiian residential area. I turned the Gore report off because I consider it very personal. Most of my reports have broken photo links that will probably never be updated due to time.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Post by MtnHub »

Thanks, Kimo! I miss a lot of them too! :-D
Leanne
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Leanne »

Thank you so much Kimo!!! I really appreciate you being willing to turn that trip report back on, you captured so beautifully what makes the Gore incredibly special. I'll share it with my adventure partner this evening if you want to turn it back off again soon.

Again, thank you so much!
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

Kimo please keep writing. Between your photography and your writing you definitely have a gift.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

No kidding. A lesson in both writing and photography - those introductory paragraphs are phenomenal!
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Shaolin
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shaolin »

Nice area, need to get back there again.
waolsen
14ers: 40  2 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by waolsen »

Kimo,

Thank you for posting the report again. I love the Gore Range. Your photos and writing inspire the imagination and capture this beautiful place well. Reading this is the best thing I'll do today. Thanks!

- Walter
"The mountains are calling and I must go"
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Appreciate the comments.
Last edited by kimo on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.