Mount Warren ~ Colorado ~ Accessible? Mount Evans Wilderness

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JColk
14ers: 10 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Mount Warren ~ Colorado ~ Accessible? Mount Evans Wilderness

Post by JColk »

Does anyone know if this summit is currently "legal". Went to attempt Warren and Rogers via Summit Lake and was told that access is not allowed to either of these peaks currently. Me and my GF started breaking off Chicago Lakes trail to sorta skip up the talus, and was told that we are not to leave the trail and that there's someone "Who writes tickets for that" who was there today. Seemed weird, like some folks (rangers) who maybe didn't understand my question. Maybe another approach is legitimate? All the sign I saw said to keep on trail, but no trail to either of those peaks. Any ideas?
"I've got it set in my mind, I'll be a mountain disguised this year..." - Umphrey's McGee \:D/
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mount Warren ~ Colorado ~ Accessible? Mount Evans Wilder

Post by dpage »

The Chicago Lakes side is Wilderness area and off trail travel would be allowed wherever. If starting at Summit Lake there are fences and signs you would have to pass which would be discouraged. I have a hard time seeing somebody on the summit waiting to ticket hikers since the Wilderness boundary follows the ridge between Warren and Rogers and divides the summits on each.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

JColk wrote:Does anyone know if this summit is currently "legal". Went to attempt Warren and Rogers via Summit Lake and was told that access is not allowed to either of these peaks currently. Me and my GF started breaking off Chicago Lakes trail to sorta skip up the talus, and was told that we are not to leave the trail and that there's someone "Who writes tickets for that" who was there today. Seemed weird, like some folks (rangers) who maybe didn't understand my question. Maybe another approach is legitimate? All the sign I saw said to keep on trail, but no trail to either of those peaks. Any ideas?
Hah I ran into this last weekend. A denver parks ranger called us back down when we went off the evans trail, said we would "set a bad example for the tourists" by hiking off the trail.

He suggested parking at the summit lake overflow lot, which is about a half mile back down the road, and hiking up from there. He did mention that some other group of rangers (national forest rangers?) would get mad if they saw us walking on tundra.

We went to that lot and snagged both warren and rogers. They are both extremely easy from there, or summit lake, but we counted them since we also did gray wolf that day and got plenty of elevation.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

Another option is to climb Warren and Rogers from the Dos Chappell Nature Center. You can park in the lot and use the M. Walter Pesman trail.

Regarding wilderness regulations and hiking off-trail, here is a link to the Forest Service regulations for the the Mount Evans Wilderness area:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/speci ... m91_058242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is information about the M. Walter Pesman trail:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/recr ... 8&actid=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are a series of resources related to the Clear Creek area:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/alert ... rdb5114354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this document, there is a prohibition of being in a restricted area as shown on a series of maps - the specific prohibition is "9. Going into or being on National Forest System Lands within a Restricted Area shown on
the attached maps. 36 C.F.R. § 261.53 (a), 36 C.F.R. § 261.53 (e), 36 C.F.R. § 261.53
(f):"
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 507824.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, regulations for the Mount Evans Wilderness Area (see the map). From what I read the prohibited activities in the area encompassing Warren and Rogers are 1. campfires, 2. camping, and 3. a dog off-leash (D-4,5,8):
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 852772.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It takes awhile to wade through all this information! You can always call the Ranger District and simply ask.
Phil