Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Two Lions Near Lily Lake Trailhead

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Two Lions Near Lily Lake Trailhead

Postby shaunster_co » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:47 am

I have had an encounter with one at 10,500 in the IPW area. I was taking off skins and preparing to descend and it was directly behind me in the trees. If I remember right this same thing has happened to a number of people. I don't know what it is, perhaps removing the pack or being stationary gives them the cue. :wft:

Postby sue personett » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 am

I had an encounter with one at 7430 feet in my front yard one evening last October. Monument has lots of deer. I agree, mountain lions go where their prey goes. Do not encourage deer to linger in your yard. Many people in my area do just that. I chase the deer away because they try to eat my garden.
Namaste
Sue

Postby tenpins » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:01 pm

its loosely pertinent to this thread. found black bear tracks in cottonwood creek this evening. From under I25 heading east. most awesome

Postby Boggy B » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:20 pm

after years of hiking alone at night in the Colorado wilderness, I finally saw my first bear in the wild today! Two black bears, 100' off the trail.

... on Mount Sanitas in Boulder. #-o

Postby HikerGuy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:36 pm

Boggy B wrote:after years of hiking alone at night in the Colorado wilderness, I finally saw my first bear in the wild today! Two black bears, 100' off the trail.

... on Mount Sanitas in Boulder. #-o

Congratulations! I've been in Boulder seven years now and have yet to see a bear here or anywhere in Colorado. When I lived in Virginia, I hiked in Shenandoah National Park frequently and would see at least one bear on almost every hike, sometimes three (surprised a mama and cubs once). One of these days I will see a bear out here.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm

carsonaceae wrote:The book 'Grizzly Years' by Doug Peacock is one of the best works of natural history you will ever read. If you have ever been in and around Glacier National Park, MT, you will know that he readily changes the names of familiar places to those which still can be recognized by the astute observer. It is a good read for those wishing to cultivate their natural history skills. And by the way, Doug Peacock is actually the real-life portrayal of Hayduke, the seminal character of 'The Monkeywrench Gang' by Abbey. They met in Glacier while Abbey as a fire lookout on top of Numa mountain. Their writings are those born only from raw experience...

Coincidental, I actually thought to mention Doug Peacock as well as Rick Bass in this thread. Reading their writings captivated me some years ago on the subject of wildlife. Unlike some writers, both fellas clocked some serious legwork in the quest for understanding. I didn't post because I thought Dick Bass, who I am not so much of a fan of, was more appropriate for 14ers.com interests. Glad you broke the ice though. Great stuff if you are into the subject matter.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby nyker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
nyker wrote:I remember being told once they don't go above 8,000ft by a park worker - when I showed them a photo of footprints at 9,500, they were certain I had mistaken where I had taken the photo

I've seen them above 10,000' feet and had an interesting lion encounter at 11,400' a few years ago. They go where the food is

Bill, what was your 'interesting' encounter?? do share.

Postby D8S » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:50 pm

The original post sounds like a great encounter.

Many years ago I was hiking in the Selway - Bitterroot wilderness, and returning to my vehicle (still a mile or so away) I came around a bend in the trail to find 2 mountain lions about 200ft away. I stopped, (not particularly scared, just not wanting to frighten them) but they'd seen me and after a brief moment they beat it into the woods.

They weren't stalking me, but nonetheless they had been walking up the trail I'd come in on (hours before) for the better part of a mile.

This was shortly after a mountain lion study had been done at a ranch in the Selway river area, which was probably 10 miles away. Its interesting to think they might have been the same cats, somewhat accustomed to humans. I'll never know.

I think mountain lions do sometimes hang out together (how else would we get little mountain lions, for example), but other than that and immature cubs I don't know the details.

I've always considered myself fortunate to see large wildlife, though I've never had a bad encounter.

Dave

Postby bob863 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:45 am

hmmm, maybe we need to be worried about the 2-legged critters as well...a recent post thought "bombing" in the backcountry should be considered....
I always thought that the 4-legged critters were my most feared, but with all the people carrying concealed weapons into the backcountry and onto the 14ers...

Postby boudreaux » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:11 am

We have a lion that frequents Parker every once in a while, there are tons of deer here, even a white one. A big gulch between Parker and Foxfield, south of Smokey Hill, north of Inspiration Rd is where I have seen the cat. A big herd of pronghorn hang out around this area too, doubt a lion could get one of those speed demons, but you never know. Almost hit one going up the eastside of Berthoud Pass many years ago! I have come across many a knawed off deer leg in Waterton, seems there is not too much meat below the knee to even bother. A lot of tracks in the snow there, some piles of crap, but never seen one yet. It pays to be noisey when you're beating the bushes of Waterton Canyon!
Ragin Cajun

Postby DenneyR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:28 am

Mountain lions scar the H#*! out of me! But seeing one in the wild would be an ultimate thrill.

I realize bears can also "get" you but I think black bears are mostly mild mannered but mountain lions are predators that will kill what they can when hungry.

As far as what concerns me most in the mountains is myself making a mistake

Previous