Maroon Bell Epic

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rastro
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bell Epic

Post by rastro »

...and now for something completely different...

The underlying theme of Green's teams has been perseverance, no excuses, and a drive to win. Green's motto is: "Plan your work and work your plan." He explains how to do so with what he calls “The 3 Ds:” Desire (goals), Dedication (work ethic to achieve the goals), and Determination (perseverance). In his autobiography, No Room For Crybabies, he tells his inspirational life story, and provides the blue print for and explanation of how he overcame bigotry and discrimination to succeed in life and to climb to the top of his profession.

The high point of Dennis' Vikings career was the 1998 season where the team lost only one regular season game and set the NFL record for the most points scored in a season and finally advancing deep into the playoffs. Green reached several milestones, including coaching what was then the highest-scoring team in NFL history (the 2007 Patriots under Bill Belichick currently hold this record) and becoming the first black head coach to come within a game of The Super Bowl, losing in overtime to the Falcons.

Dennis Green / Minnesota Vikings Head Coach / 1992-2001
Different eyes see different things
Different hearts beat on different strings...
Geddy Lee 1980
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

I haven't done the Bells yet but I thought this sign was priceless. You can't say you haven't been warned after passing this sign.
bells sign.JPG
bells sign.JPG (136.57 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

peakmind wrote:I've just finished a trip report (and "what went wrong" study) of a summit attempt on South Maroon Bell a few years ago. Several lessons learned.

http://peakmind.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/the-long-bell/
Nice educational report. Between this and close ups of Bill's pictures, and hearing how loose it is, it makes me wonder if doing all the 14ers is in the cards for me someday.
mjsherman
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mjsherman »

timf wrote:
peakmind wrote:I've just finished a trip report (and "what went wrong" study) of a summit attempt on South Maroon Bell a few years ago. Several lessons learned.

Nice educational report. Between this and close ups of Bill's pictures, and hearing how loose it is, it makes me wonder if doing all the 14ers is in the cards for me someday.
Its not as bad as you may think. If you take your time and maybe go with someone who has been there before you should have no problem. Be as fit as possible though so you can enjoy the trip because the Bells are a lot of elev. gain.
Enjoy
Matt
peakmind
14ers: 58 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (32)

Post by peakmind »

timf wrote:

Thanks. You can get more comfortable in managing the risks involved by working your way up the class grades. A bit of rock climbing can also help with the development of rock skills and judgment. Some of the 14er peaks are not casual; but the harder they are to reach, the greater personal reward they offer. That is my opinion, of course. Good luck.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

peakmind wrote:Some of the 14er peaks are not casual; but the harder they are to reach, the greater personal reward they offer. That is my opinion, of course. Good luck.
Excellent thread.
When life gets you down, climb!
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Broken Knee wrote:
peakmind wrote:Some of the 14er peaks are not casual; but the harder they are to reach, the greater personal reward they offer. That is my opinion, of course. Good luck.
Excellent thread.
After 4 1/2 years of deliberation the jury rendered a verdict.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
oldkingog
14ers: 49 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldkingog »

A friend and I summited S Maroon yesterday. We met a couple going up and climbed the last 1000 feet with them. It was definitely nice to have several pairs of eyes for route finding and several times I thought about how spooked I would be to climb this solo. We had a GPS (with downloaded gpx file and the pics and route description from this website. These were really helpful to assure not dropping/ascending into an unsafe area. My friend and I met a guy descending solo on our way down and several times had to point him in the right direction after he got off route. He had read
Roach's book previously, but in my opinion, Roach's description wouldn't have left me with much confidence if I were attempting to summit solo.

!Side note: The '2800 feet of suck' wasn't the most enjoyable route, but having trekking poles was a huge help!