Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Vibram five finger hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Vibram five finger hiking

Postby chanson553 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Hiked Mount Elbert for the first time this weekend and completed the 9 mile trek in my Vibram KSO's. Has anyone else hiked any 14er's in Vibram Five Fingers. Any fun stories to share?

Re: Vibram five finger hiking

Postby JA_son27 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:01 pm

No way! I think I saw her husband not too much further down the trail:

Did she have pony tails and daisy dukes on as well?
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

Postby randalmartin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:41 pm

chanson553 wrote:Hiked Mount Elbert for the first time this weekend and completed the 9 mile trek in my Vibram KSO's. Has anyone else hiked any 14er's in Vibram Five Fingers. Any fun stories to share?

I saw a girl on the summit of San Luis about a month ago that had those on. She said she really liked them. I have looked into those as well, particular for consideration on Class 3/4 rock. It would seem to offer more grip given the way it would conform to the rock. Having said that, I have seen it suggested that you gradually work up to using those extenstively to give your lower leg and foot muscles the time to adapt. My biggest reservations about their use would be jamming your toes on rock since there is virtually zero protection from that.

So what is your feedback?

Postby tmathews » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:49 pm

One of my partners this weekend completed the Bells traverse in his Vibrams. I kept asking if his feet hurt, but he said it didn't too badly. He said that it was a little bit uncomfortable when hiking/climbing over rock edges, but he seemed to do well!

Postby rosco » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:00 pm

We saw a couple go to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in some. Later, we saw them at the Phantom Ranch. the next day, they took off early and we never passed them so i'll guess they worked. i have a similar pair for surfing by O'Neil but the toes are fused on the bottom for more "footprint." it hurts to walk over rocks as the "bridge" of the sole is not rubber but neoprene.
in high school cross country we were taught to land on our heels and roll to the front of the foot. I've heard recently there is some evidence the opposite is more beneficial. NUTS! i'd guess shin splints would become less with time.

Postby Seawolf » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:06 pm

I just started doing 14ers (Longs then Bierstadt so far) and I use the KSO treks, or whatever the heaviest duty ones are called. I have done lots of shorter hikes around Boulder for quite a while. I've owned them for about 8 months, hiking every other weekend about 4-10 miles each time. I have done two trips longer than that: Longs peak and a hike up to Capitol lake (15 and 12 mi trips) and those were the only times I have had any pain. The problem is always the approach trail coming down from the summit. Landing on all those little rocks on the trail turns the massage feeling into a beat up feeling, but only on the really long trips. That said, I think I'll do the rest of my hiking in my vibrams. I think the best part is the stability I have developed in my ankles. I have absolutely 0 fear of rolling my ankle because I have the strength to flex all the way to one side and back up while standing on one foot. I like to tell the story of boxers and fighters punching hard things to toughen their hands up. It's a similar thing with feet, you need to toughen them up and it wont hurt anymore. Paradoxically, you feel more connected and aware of the ground after you wear them for a while.

Cold weather isn't a problem as long as you get some 5 toed socks. Snow only becomes a problem when its above your ankles but walking on it is a piece of cake, feels like a chilly morning without gloves on your hands. Walking on river stones barefoot in glacial runoff is the best way to remove pain :)

Postby markyv » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:10 pm

have had a pair (or three) going on four years now. I also carry a pair of racing flats with me as a JIC option but will normally leave the car and summit in the VFFs. Due to the heel first nature of the descent I will ALWAYS switch to the flats for the descent. The glove shoes are AWESOME for going up. Heaps of fun.

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:13 am

I hiked Longs this summer via the keyhole; full pack with an overnight at the Boulderfield. Here's a link to my trip report.

I was wearing black VFF KSO treks. I love 'em.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8536&parmuser=MUni+Rider&cpgm=tripuser

edit.... I just noticed that I am respoding to a resurrected old thread.... oh well. Still interesting however.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby tmathews » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Vibram's new line-up.

Which one of you ladies of 14ers.com will be first to purchase the Kangas? :wink: :P

Postby mtgirl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm

WOW - they will look sweet with my new hiking mini skirt ! \:D/
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby kansas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

tmathews wrote:Vibram's new line-up.

Which one of you ladies of 14ers.com will be first to purchase the Kangas? :wink: :P

I cannot imagine the smell that would emanate from those after being worn a few times :-& My KSOs are bad enough and they have a lot more venting...
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby winglady » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:59 am

I tried on these shoes at REI recently, and found that, although the big toe & 2nd toe kind of fit, my other toes were way, way shorter than the space in the shoe, so there was a lot of flopping around of the plastic (or whatever they're made of).

It seems like getting this style of shoe to actually fit different-shaped and sized toes would be a big issue.
Colorado-for-Free - free things to see and do throughout Colorado
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
And: Because It's There - A Photographic Journey
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park
Highpoint Adventures

Next