Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Moose

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Moose

Postby jlarocco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 am

Saw these guys about 50 feet from the road up to Georgia Pass last weekend:

And these ones by Piney Lake up in the Gores a couple years ago:

Postby Mark A Steiner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Haven't seen any moose in CO where others in the thread have seen them, but fine photos to all of you.

Someone one said if you encounter a moose anywhere that may have moose relatives Canada, to avoid an attack, don't use the word "EH"! in conversation.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby nyker » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 pm

jlarocco, that second photo is a great shot, would look good enlarged and framed.

Postby OnyourLeft » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 am

I stumbled upon two moose off of the CMC trail near Brainard Lake. One was a very impressive bull. Couldn't get a good picture because of the trees and I was alone with my dog. I wasn't going to push any boundaries. They were not at all scared of me and I had to bushwhack around them. Cool to see but got my adrenaline pumping pretty good.

Postby Mountain Jon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:39 pm

From my experience in the North Country, moose have really bad eye sight. So if a moose charges and attacks you,( which really is only likely if you get to close to a momma and her baby's) the best thing to do is run into thick woods (if possable).. They will almost always give up because they can't see in thick woods and they don't want to be attacked while there attacking.

Postby RockyMtnHigh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:14 pm

I seen a pair of moose at mid mountain Winter Park towards the end of last season while working. I watched them run across a run, then up a catwalk towards another part of the mountain(towards the pioneer lift if you're familiar with WP, I was at the bottom of the high Lonesome). A few minutes later a ski patroller came down from where they just ran up and he said he seen them and walked up a few feet into the trees and waited for them to move along. I can't imagine how scary it would be to run into a moose like that. It was probably 30-35 yards from me when I seen it and I was ready to run up into the top of the lift.

Postby TCUTED » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:41 pm

I see em maybe 50% of the time up by Cameron pass, never had a negative encounter though. It's a pretty awesome experience to run into one on the trail.
Attachments
moose.jpg
Moose in CP
moose.jpg (230.75 KiB) Viewed 382 times

Postby CORed » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:52 am

I've had several close encounters with moose over the last several years, both in Colorado and Wyoming, without really feeling threatened. Perhaps the most spectacular was in Lead King Basin just a couple of hundred yards in from the Snowmass trailhead. I was walking along the trail, when I heard a snort, and a young bull moose, who had been lying flat (probably sleeping) in tall vegetation right next to the trail lifted up his head about 15 feet in front of me, then got up and ran away.

Postby DoWork » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 am

Here's some vid I shot of a few moose along the trail to Bierstadt a few weeks back.

http://youtu.be/2rdQKkaBG3I

Postby Mel McKinney » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Moose and calf we saw this past weekend just below the shelf road to Grizzly Gulch/Silver Creek trailheads. Standing right next to the road.

Moose.jpg
Moose.jpg (167.98 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:08 pm

It seems moose like to eat in the same places I like to fly fish, as I see them all the time. Including this old girl who I literally almost stepped on. I was a fast moving mess on my retreat through the brush, in waders, carrying a flyrod, and a DSLR. No thoughts on tactics at the time, except put distance between me and her. I would guess I was within 3 feet when she stood up. Honestly, they make me a little nervous but they always seem indifferent.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:07 am

Jlarocco, great shots. Kimo, better shot. Best of the lot in my opinion. If he was 6 more feet forward it would have been perfect, but I know how that goes. You take what is given.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

PreviousNext