My wife is awesome!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

My wife is awesome!

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

I didn't really think this warranted a trip report but it is so cool I had to share. Yesterday was my birthday and being a desk jockey I wasn't too pumped about the thought of spending it answering emails all day long. Well Tuesday afternoon I get a call from our office lobby that I had a delivery I had to go downstairs and sign for. Thinking this was very unusual I went downstairs somewhat convinced that I was about to be served or arrested or something like that. When I got down there I instead found my wife, dressed in full hiking garb holding a happy birthday balloon. She responded to my confused look by saying, "ok, let's go!" Turns out she had packed the car, arranged for a babysitter and, this is key, arranged for me to have yesterday off all without my knowing. So we hopped in the car, drove up and camped Tuesday night and climbed Mt Yale yesterday where, on the summit I had Happy Birthday sung to me at 14k feet! I later found out she had been working on this for about three months! Special thanks to the Yale students at the top for all the singing, it made for the greatest surprise birthday ever!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: My wife is awesome!

Post by Scott P »

Awesome!

And happy birthday.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

=D> Wow, that is like super cool! 8) \:D/ And, ditto on the happy birthday trails wish. :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

You totally should have posted this as a TR. :wink: :lol:

Happy belated! Glad you got a great gift!
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Pic from the summit or it didn't happen.
michaelgrundy
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 49 2
Trip Reports (21)

Post by michaelgrundy »

That is super awesome!!! Happy Birthday!
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

That is an outstanding birthday gift!!!!!! And very clever AND thoughtful. Your wife is way too cool! Happy Birthday! =D>

ps tell her to call MY wife! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

That is one of the coolest things EVER!
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

That is one of the coolest things EVER!
SpringsHiker
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

:shock:

Wow!

What a thoughtful gift!! It speaks volumes about your wife.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
twobirds
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by twobirds »

Props to your wife.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Very cool. Sounds like a keeper.

tmathews wrote:You totally should have posted this as a TR. :wink: :lol:
I don't know, it was a short enough post that it probably would be changed into a conditions report anyway.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz