Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Is that a bear in there?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Is that a bear in there?

Postby jerrybeals » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 am

Back in 1998 I was walking steeply down from Belford after having just done my first two 14ers. It was late in the day, and as I approached the intersection with the Missouri Gulch trail I noticed that the one lone shrub shortly above treeline was shaking like crazy. It had to be a bear. The only reason a person would go in there would be to drop a deuce. And since the shrub was right next to the stream and trail I figured that no self-respecting hiker would break those cardinal rules. What to do? I tried yelling, which made the bush stop shaking. Had the bear run out the other side? Nope. I considered trying to walk around the bush on the talus, but it was slippery and just about to turn dark. So instead I sat and waited for a moment. Then I began yelling some more while simultaneously picking up a few rocks just in case. This dance had gone on for several minutes before I finally heard a voice from the shrub say "Get the f*$& out of here." Gladly. I laughed to myself about my misadventure the entire rest of the walk back to the car.

Re: Is that a bear in there?

Postby nfire » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:21 am

when does the novel version come out?

Postby Mel McKinney » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:59 am

You probably entertained the guy in the shrub with your song and dance routine. :-D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby PattyCakes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 pm

Thats a FUNIE story!!!

Postby nyker » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 pm

I think that same guy was in Central Park on the weekend...

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 am

If the shrub is rocking, don’t bother knocking! :lol:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert