Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Baby Found: Mt. Sneffels

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Baby Found: Mt. Sneffels

Postby Fisching » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:36 pm

My wife and I were ascending Sneffels by the Southwest Ridge when we came upon this infant with a note pinned to his jacket indicating he was left on the saddle 8 days prior. Dad's shoulders were sore and chaffed from backpack straps and he couldn't continue any further, especially with incoming weather. They left signs at the trailhead. The parents couldn't return for the infant as they were dealing with heel blisters. Near the backpack was a half eaten Ziploc bag of peanut-butter pretzels and a sippy cup. Rescuers get to rename him, but until then we'll call him "Lucky" as he survived an onslaught of pretzel-crazed Marmots.

*This is satire.

Attachments
sRsnef2_68.jpg
Infant Location
sRsnef2_68.jpg (331.43 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Re: Baby Found: Mt. Sneffels

Postby wildlobo71 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 pm

I, for one, was totally taken aback by this situation. If it weren't for the fact that crossfitter had to carry a keg, we would have been able to get this poor kid off the exposed ridge sooner. Since all of us heed the rules of climbing, especially "don't get separated from your lunch", we couldn't afford to drop our own packs.

:-D
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby d_baker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:15 am

The start of another trend.....
"Can my infant safely sleep his way up a 14er?"
Bill will have to start a new forum -- baby specific.

Postby milan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:30 am

Maybe he could start a cummulative thread, something like: 14ers and babies, dogs, cats, cougars and similar creatures... :lol:

Postby TomPierce » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 am

Well, at least they left the child with a helmet. I don't have a problem with this.
-Tom

Postby Scott P » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37 am

Can someone email my employer saying that I must be excused in order to go climb Mt Sneffels to rescue an abandoned baby.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby ThuChad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:52 am

I know the father personally. He is a great guy and father. He would never intentionally put his child at risk. He would have gone back for the baby but he had to work and had awful blisters! He could barely walk people. He contacted the Child Rescue Association of North America but they DENIED HIM HELP! HE TRIED TO FIND SOMEONE TO HELP HIM BUT HE WAS DENIED! You people are very quick to judge someone you don't know. Shame on you. :-"
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby Dukietown » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 am

Can we get this moved to the pets sub-forum please? :-D

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:59 am

Does the kid or his father have a Facebook account? A few votes for CFI will go a long way toward achieving forgiveness from the community.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby greenhorn1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:00 am

TomPierce wrote:Well, at least they left the child with a helmet. I don't have a problem with this.
-Tom

Yes, but did they use sunscreen?
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am

all i know is that kid is genuine badass

OMG

Postby Jay521 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:59 am

Obviously the parents do not subscribe to LNT (Leave No Toddler) guidelines. Tsk, tsk...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Next