Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another 14er tale...

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
User avatar
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:22 am
Location: Appalachia

Another 14er tale...

Postby sierra ledge rat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:40 pm

This event occurred many, many years ago in Colorado Springs (back in the day when there were fifty-four peaks considered to be 14ers instead of 53).

I was looking for a climbing partner so I posted an advertisement at the local climbing shop. I guy called me, and we met to talk.

During out conversation her claimed, "I have climbed every single peak in Colorado."

"Holy cow! Every one?"

"Yes." He went on to tell me that he had started bagging peaks when he was a child, and recently had been working as a mountain guide. He had spent a lot of time in the mountains bagging peaks.

I had spent a few years in Colorado and knew that getting to all those summits must have been quite a lot of work.

"That's amazing, every single peak in Colorado?"

"Yup, every one."

"Wow, that's amazing. There must be thousands of peaks in Colorado."

He looked at me puzzled, and replied, "No, there are only fifty four."
"I've crossed the thin line between bravery and foolishness too many times."

User avatar
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby smoove » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 pm

sierra ledge rat wrote:This event occurred many, many years ago in Colorado Springs (back in the day when there were fifty-four peaks considered to be 14ers instead of 53).

I was looking for a climbing partner so I posted an advertisement at the local climbing shop. I guy called me, and we met to talk.

During out conversation her claimed, "I have climbed every single peak in Colorado."

"Holy cow! Every one?"

"Yes." He went on to tell me that he had started bagging peaks when he was a child, and recently had been working as a mountain guide. He had spent a lot of time in the mountains bagging peaks.

I had spent a few years in Colorado and knew that getting to all those summits must have been quite a lot of work.

"That's amazing, every single peak in Colorado?"

"Yup, every one."

"Wow, that's amazing. There must be thousands of peaks in Colorado."

He looked at me puzzled, and replied, "No, there are only fifty four."


That is hilarious. I mean, everybody knows there are 58 peaks in Colorado.

User avatar
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby susanjoypaul » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm

sierra ledge rat wrote:He looked at me puzzled, and replied, "No, there are only fifty four."

Ha! Classic. Tell me, was he wearing a 14ers.com T-shirt? :-D

User avatar
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 am
Location: Austin, Republic of Texas

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby Mtnman200 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I know what you mean. My two teenage sons are working on the centennials, and on 8/11/12 the three of us climbed Iowa Peak, Emerald Peak, and Missouri Mountain. The next day we climbed Mt. Belford and Mt. Oxford and were backpacking to the trailhead when we met a guy who asked "Did you get all three?" I replied "No, we climbed all five." He looked puzzled, so I explained that we aren't just climbing fourteeners, we're climbing mountains.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Mtnman200 wrote:I know what you mean. My two teenage sons are working on the centennials, and on 8/11/12 the three of us climbed Iowa Peak, Emerald Peak, and Missouri Mountain. The next day we climbed Mt. Belford and Mt. Oxford and were backpacking to the trailhead when we met a guy who asked "Did you get all three?" I replied "No, we climbed all five." He looked puzzled, so I explained that we aren't just climbing fourteeners, we're climbing mountains.


Thats funny. I remember, vividly, the looks on the faces of some of the people we passed on the way out of Chi Basin after 6 days, 10 13ers, and not a single 14er summit. I think, at one point, some guy asked if we got all 3, and i looked at my climbing partner and then thought to myself we did in fact explore 3 basins that trip, and just simply nodded our heads, gave our farewells of good luck and continued down the trail.

User avatar
Posts: 1387
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm
Location: Estes Park

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby Kiefer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:04 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
Mtnman200 wrote:I know what you mean. My two teenage sons are working on the centennials, and on 8/11/12 the three of us climbed Iowa Peak, Emerald Peak, and Missouri Mountain. The next day we climbed Mt. Belford and Mt. Oxford and were backpacking to the trailhead when we met a guy who asked "Did you get all three?" I replied "No, we climbed all five." He looked puzzled, so I explained that we aren't just climbing fourteeners, we're climbing mountains.


Thats funny. I remember, vividly, the looks on the faces of some of the people we passed on the way out of Chi Basin after 6 days, 10 13ers, and not a single 14er summit. I think, at one point, some guy asked if we got all 3, and i looked at my climbing partner and then thought to myself we did in fact explore 3 basins that trip, and just simply nodded our heads, gave our farewells of good luck and continued down the trail.


LMAO!! :lol:

Great story Sierra. I can only imagine some of the other gems you've experienced through the years.
Good to see ya post over here by the way!
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

User avatar
Posts: 3077
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:36 pm
Location: Edwards, Colorado

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I enjoy stories like these, thanks for posting!

Earlier this year we were passing between Sunlight Basin and Chicago Basin by going through the Windom-Sunlight Spire saddle. One of our group had gone over the day before in order to climb Eolus and was waiting for us at Twin Lakes to come over (he had seen us from his Eolus descent). He mentioned he was meeting up with friends to the guy at the lake who he struck up a conversation with and told him where we were coming from. The guy insisted that we were coming from the train, that we couldn't go the way we were allegedly going or we'd die. Despite our friend telling the guy we were all camped back there the day before and trying to say that he had come over the same way yesterday, and that he saw us coming over from his descent of Eolus, this guy still insisted that "trust me, they are coming from the train".

I get a lot of "did you make it to the lake" comments on my way back down trails. I usually just answer "yes" and keep going.

Sometimes its easier to just nod and agree rather than try and explain it.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

User avatar
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:41 am
Location: Red Lodge, MT

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby Kruck » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:
I get a lot of "did you make it to the lake" comments on my way back down trails. I usually just answer "yes" and keep going.

Sometimes its easier to just nod and agree rather than try and explain it.


Funny.

My favorite in the same vein comes from Glacier Gorge, RMNP. In the last mile of the walk out, people always ask you, "How far is it?"

How far to what? I used to stop and talk with them about where they were going, then try to explain. Sky Pond's different from Pagoda's different from Mills is different from the damn waterfalls. I once told a big lady that she could probably find her way back into Denver if she kept going in that direction, but it was a hell of a ways off yet.

However, the amusement factor wore off, and I eventually settled on this general response: "Almost there."
Sausage, mushroom, and green pepper

User avatar
Posts: 7428
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:06 pm

One time I was hiking down Seven Bridges trail (which is in a narrow 1000-foot-deep canyon) during a thunderstorm. I met a woman hiking up, who nervously asked me if I thought it was safe to be out in this weather. Sure, I said, the canyon walls are pretty good protection from lightning. She then asked, "Are you experienced?"

Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

User avatar
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Thornton (CO Blvd & 136th Ave)

Re: Another 14er tale...

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Jimi Hendrix song outside of the Music thread for the win! =D>
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests