Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Longs Peak equals divorce.

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Longs Peak equals divorce.

Postby RenoBob » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:06 pm

I had climbed Longs on my 12th birthday in 1962. I thought it would be fitting to climb it again on my 50th b-day. I managed to convence my wife that she should do this also as our b-days are only a few weeks apart. "It will be grand adventure" I told her. "Don't worry, we're in good shape, it's just a long hike."
Time has dulled the senses and nightmares of a twelve year old boy. We started out out around 2AM and within the first mile, Leslie slips on a root, falls on a very sharp pointed rock and has an immediate mega-bruise on her thigh. By god, shes tough. "No. I'm all right. I'll walk it off." and she did.
Our flashlight batteries gave out in the dark about a mile below the Boulder Field campground. We did the hiking by Brail for a while until the dawn lit our way. When we reached the Keyhole Les thought we were almost there, then she looked over the edge at the Ledges. "Holy s__t!. We're not going there are we?" I convinced her this is the worst part of the hike. After 38 years I had forgotten about the TROUGH. I had also forgotten about the NARROWS... and the HOME STRETCH.
With a minimal amount of encouragement and lying ("Honey, you're doin'great! We're almost there!") and the motivation from the 10 year old Cheley kids blowing past us, we reached the summit. Have I mentioned "by god, she's tough"?
Les announces she's done, she has nothing left, she doesn't know how she's goin' to make it down. Frankly, I had been thinking the same thing, "How I am I goin' to get her down?" when we started UP the Trough. Then the thunderheads rolled in. The going was slow but we made our way back to the Keyhole and down the Boulder Field. Then it started to rain... and sleet.. and blow directly in our faces at about 25mph. There was nothing we could do but put our heads down and slog our way out. Les doesn't complain or say a word. She's just guttin' it out to the car.
Around the Chasm Lake turnoff I heard the words that will haunt me the rest of my life" Bob, you owe me for this". After 15 hours RT we made it back to the car. I still get thank-you cards from the jewelry store in Estes.
Last edited by RenoBob on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby carl_renamed » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:42 pm

Great story thanks for sharing.

Postby downhilldave » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:54 pm

great story :lol:
'I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord who made Heaven and Earth' Psalm 121:1-2

Postby Starwanderer » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:22 am

REMINDS ME of that old saw: "The older I get, the better I was." Congrats on avoiding both div court and your wife dealing with a homicide---or is it a justifiable spouse termination--- court situation. Count your blessings, man.
Starwanderer
A few of my climb pics are on my website- http://www.starwanderer.com