Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Murphy's Law strikes on Whitney ...

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Murphy's Law strikes on Whitney ...

Postby rider » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Not my adventure, but it's a good read of a somewhat scary tale.

One thing for sure, if you plan to climb Whitney for a full calendar year of 52 weekends straight, then Murphy's Law says #52 is going to be the most difficult (... and it was).

http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93361&page=1&nt=2&fpart=1

Re: Murphy's Law strikes on Whitney ...

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Wow that was an epic. It immediately reminded me of the first long mixed climb I took my wife on in winter of 2001 in the eastern Sierra. My time estimates were way off as well and we ended up spooning with feet in packs, frozen ropes as pillows, and pine bows chopped with ice tools as a blanket. I told her we were fine, but in my head I was thinking we are totally doomed and it was my fault. I wish they had SPOT back then. I guess the learning from these stories goes back to the boy scout motto, "be prepared", and as my dad used to repeat, "take nothing for granted in the woods". Glad this guy was as lucky as we were.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby 14erFred » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:25 pm

A poignant reminder that the best laid plans and a lifetime of experience are no guarantee whenever we set foot on the mountain. Glad the final outcome was positive and that Richard P's instincts worked to his advantage. Thanks for sharing the story of this epic adventure, rider. Climb on!
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby nyker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Whitney must have been in a bad mood that week. I climbed it a few days before Richard and just had a bear of a time on that hill that day, much harder than my prior three summits. Conditions and the cold coupled with my heavy pack all contributed, but I should have known something would be off when I was the only one going up the switchbacks that day after the storm came in...