Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Congrats to The Chalks!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Congrats to The Chalks!

Postby gdthomas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 am

A fine accomplishment, indeed! =D>

Postby sdkeil » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 am

Congrats Brandon and Kristine, can't wait to hear about it.
Ass: (noun)
a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.

Postby geojed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:50 am

Awesome!
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:48 pm

That's awesome, Congrats! =D>
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby kushrocks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

So awesome you two!!! Brandon has been very helpful answering a number of my questions on numerous peaks. Its awesome that someone so accomplished is so helpful and down to earth. Cheers to you two!!

" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Great Stuff. Congrats =D>
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Gitrdun!! \:D/
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Good job, you two! So good to hear the great news!!!

Postby giarcd » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 am

Incredibly dedicated to thier goal. Seems like just a short time ago ya'll summited Everest!! Mucho Congrats, nice work you two!!!

Postby jbchalk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:30 am

Hey everyone,

Really appreciate all of the nice & thoughtful comments. Caleb, thanks for posting, buddy.

We just got back from Argentina yesterday (1/13). Good news is Kristine and I were able to summit last Wednesday (1/9) on a very nice yet cold morning. We had done all our acclimatization by the last Saturday (1/5) and sitting pretty for a summit on that Sunday when the weather reality changed for the worse and we retreated to base camp. We then rested a day before doing a 5 day summit binge and flying back on the 6th day (1/12). Moved to Camp 1 on Monday, Camp 2 Tuesday, summit Wednesday, back to base camp Thursday, 27 mile hike out Friday from Plaza Argentina, loads of ice cream and fly home Saturday. It all worked out, thank goodness. Having now climbed an summitted that hunk of scree twice now, I truly believe it is one of the most underrated mtns I've experienced. I honestly can see why the success rate hovers at around 30%.

We did not climb the Polish Glacier, however. Opted for the False Polish Traverse like I did last time for safety and hopefully yielding a much better chance for summit sucess. There was a bad accident on the Polish while we were hiking into Plaza Argentina, which didn't sit well with me at all. Also, looking up at it from Camp 2 a few times , its really in bad condition...pretty much 4,000' of 60 deg concrete ice. Not your typical snow covered fun glacial ascent.

All in all, it was fun being back there just feel fortunate we were able to get Kristine her 6th of the 7 completed. I believe Kristine wants to write the TR for this one, so I'll post something when that happens.

Again, thanks to everyone for all of your thoughtful comments.

Brandon

Postby tmahon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am

Nice job guys!

Postby jbchalk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks, Ted! Hope you guys are doing well.

Previous