Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Glowing Eyes

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Glowing Eyes

Postby jsdratm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:46 am

Last night I was returning from a hike north of Boulder and my flashlight revealed two green glowing eyes and the outline of a coyote looking down at me from a nearby hill. I kept my light trained on it and it sat there watching me, but then another set of eyes appeared about 50 yards up the trail where I had come from. Luckily by that point I was close to my car and left the area. Does anyone else have stories about creepy glowing eyes when hiking at night? :shock:

Re: Glowing Eyes

Postby Dex » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:56 am

That happened to me one morning on Yale - I think the eyes were red - close together like a predator. That is all I could see. I don't know what animal it was. I just kept my headlight pointed at it until the eyelids closed and then I started to move and made some noise along the way.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby rijaca » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:23 am

"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am

jsdratm wrote:Does anyone else have stories about creepy glowing eyes when hiking at night?

Shortly after dark two years ago, three sets of glowing green eyes followed me for almost half a mile of trail towards NCAR. I was not that assured when they resolved to the outline of a large mama bear and two big cubs.

Postby midwestcoast » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 am

A little off-topic, but I saw a Brocken Spectre on the upper slopes of Cloud Peak in Wyoming. Pretty damn creepy experience even knowing exactly what it was. http://www.ursula.nl/engels/webquests/mythical%20creatures/grey%20man.html

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 am

I was heading back into the Middle St Vrain drainage once in the middle of the night in an attempt of Ogallala and to save batteries on my headlamp I was hiking by the light of the moon. I heard a stick crack in front of me as I was heading into the trees from a meadow and flipped my lamp on just in time to avoid running into the biggest pair of glowing eyes I've ever seen. They were above my eye level... I backed away and climbed up a boulder in the meadow. Once I got up higher I was able to see the whole animal... It was a moose. This experience was only slightly less frightening than the time my climbing partner and I were chased off a peak in Glacier National Park by a mama grizzly. I've never done a "moonlight" hike in the Indian Peaks since. I still get the chills thinking about that sneaky moose. Good thing he didn't seem to mind me.

Postby joshmcd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

5 AM...just below Capitol Lake back in July. I saw these eyes 60 feet off, and the animal was just out of the beam of my headlamp. I was solo hiking, and this scared me quite a bit. It was out in one of those meadows below the lake, and there really wasn't any cover. We stared at each other for a good five minutes waiting to see what the other would do. I continued on up the trail slowly. As I moved, it moved, and after about 10 minutes, I made out the silhouette of a huge rack. It was a massive buck.

DSC00308.JPG
DSC00308.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Postby fleetmack » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 pm

An excerpt from James Scott's trip report from an adventure we had in the Elk's:

Then when we got up, the first thing Fleetmack said to me was, "Look over there. It's a bear." In the 3:00 darkness, we saw the black shape of a large animal, eyes focused on us, about 40 yards away. My response was puzzling: "Well, right now I gotta pee." Fleetmack agreed, and in a demonstration of how little sleep we must have gotten, we stood peeing with what we believed must have been a bear about 40 yards away next to a sign that said 'Danger, Bear Country.' Of course, after a few minutes, we realized it was a cow. But I hope that if I ever do come face to face with a bear, I'm a little more interested in him and my survival
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:10 pm

fleetmack wrote:
after a few minutes, we realized it was a cow.

I've had a similar experience as well... One morning the dude below and about 20 of his friends had us all but convinced our camp was being attacked by the elusive Chupacabra one morning in the Cordillera Blanca:

Huascaran_Cow.jpg
Huascaran_Cow.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 782 times

Postby jeffs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:13 pm

This was our 2am close encounter for 2012... Name that beast!

IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG (218.92 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Hey, it's flat up here?!

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

A bison?

Postby Paula » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 pm

On our second morning in the Chicago Basin, I got up early to get a head start on my faster partner. I went off into the woods to do what one does off in the woods and came back to our site to a pair of glowing eyes staring me down maybe 20 feet away in the middle of our camp. Everyone else was still safe in their tents and I was staring down what I assumed to be a goat ready to fight me for my used tp. I was freaked out, so I just stood and stared the eyes down for a couple minutes, neither of us blinking. When I finally got the nerve to move, I took a step towards them, they didn't move. I took another step closer, they didn't move. Third step closer, I realized it was the guy wires of my friend's tent reflecting in my headlamp.

Next