Lake Como Road's Revenge

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Re: Lake Como Road's Revenge

Post by djkest »

A little OT perhaps, but what would a good 4x4 ATV be for Lake Como road? I'm thinking something with lots of clearance and low range gearing, if such a thing is made. Winch might be useful, as well.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

danb wrote:Bill, I'm glad you have done that road. I got some "go to hell" looks on my ATV from hikers. [-X It is the only time I have ever ATV'd up and probably the only time I ever will, but I just could not miss the opportunity to combine two things I love in one trip!

I found the biggest problem to be the loss of power at higher elevation...running only a 330cc engine. The obstacles were a total blast.
Yeah, I've received those looks, but I don't let it bother me. I've also had some "Hey, can I get a ride up the road?" requests which I usually try to accommodate if I don't have too much gear on the back. :)
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

djkest wrote:A little OT perhaps, but what would a good 4x4 ATV be for Lake Como road? I'm thinking something with lots of clearance and low range gearing, if such a thing is made. Winch might be useful, as well.
Most 4WD ATVs are going to have 4-Lo. A larger ATV with large, stock tires and good-clearance is best for that road and the big manufacturers all sell them, but they are going to be anywhere from $5 to $9k new.

Way back when, I got the first year (1995) Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4 2-stroke and it's my rig of choice for tough roads like Lake Como. Great power, clearance and light in the back end if I have to move it around. I still use it to plow my driveway in Breck! I now have a 2012 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. 4x4 4-stroke which is much heavier but lots of clearance. Both have winches but I usually only use it to get out of mud, plow snow or pull a deer up to the hanging pole O:) . The wife has a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 335cc 4x4 4-stroke which has also been up that road. Not a ton of power but great in Low.

The new UTVs (side-by-side seating) are pretty wide and wouldn't be as good on a rough road like Como but I've seen a couple make it to the lake.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

um, is that Andrew Martinez's 4Runner?