1st Hand Account of Women Stuck on Longs

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: 1st Hand Account of Women Stuck on Longs

Post by Monster5 »

The account states they were searching for "the entrance" to Clark's Arrow and wished to "go through" Clark's Arrow. If they ascended Keplinger's, which they think they did, then there is no reason to start at the Loft, descend Clark's, and cross Keplinger's. They'd already be at the top of Keplinger's! Perhaps slightly right for the easier scrambling. Just hook a left at the Palisades.

Previous posters have already mentioned that the GPS route incorrectly goes far right of Keplinger's up to the Loft. The same website provides a route picture which shows the proper route left of the GPS track, however the ladies might not have been able to see the proper route in poor weather (they probably didn't have service until the Loft, so phoning in a forecast would be tough). I likely would have made the same decision as them given their current information and circumstances, though with better route familiarity.

They followed the incorrect GPS track until the batteries died. I think that is where the issue began and why those experienced with the route are confused; they didn't actually take Keplinger's Couloir, either up or down.

From their description and the GPS, I think they left Keplinger's couloir early:
Ladies took yellow, Keplinger's is left of orange or optional orange (no big deal)
Ladies took yellow, Keplinger's is left of orange or optional orange (no big deal)
longs.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
Now, there's baseless, ignorant speculation with poor facts (like the original thread), and there's also informed speculation. Now that we have their statement, speculation actually has a basis. But of course, my opinion isn't valid because I'm a 20 something and the majority of posters here are actually 30s-60s with fully developed, functioning brains and an inherent wealth of mountaineering knowledge.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Nicely done Monster5. Awesome. That has me even more amazed. Keplinger's is such a natural line. Even in poor conditions they should have been able to find it and if conditions were that bad they could not find the couloir, it was a definite no go...... at my risk acceptance level.
rickinco123
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

From their report:
We had no idea whether the highly unusual weather would continue or even worsen.
I have read nothing unusual about the weather on Longs Peak. Windspeeds have been recorded up there over 200mph. Not sure expectations were lined up with reality here.

If anything, it can get a lot worse.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Unless one had significant experience on the Loft and in Keplingers beforehand, I don't think one would stand much of a chance of finding one's way from Keplingers to the Loft in crappy weather.
please rotate your device
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

longsroute.jpg
longsroute.jpg (175.47 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
From their first-hand account when they talk about "downclimbing to find Clark's arrow only to end up at 200 ft cliffs", this makes me think they went up either the yellow, red or even the green route (therefore, not Keplinger's at all) and then ascended to the tops of the Palisades (indicated by the green arrows) hence, being at the edge of the cliffs. I've never been in either of those couloirs some I'm not sure how nasty they are. But if they are anything like Keplinger's, certainly gross.

Why's everyone getting all butthurt by the analysis? Get over it. It's fun.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

BHallDDS wrote:Why's everyone getting all butthurt by the analysis? Get over it. It's fun.

all this speculation is like a trip to the dentist
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

12ersRule wrote:
BHallDDS wrote:Why's everyone getting all butthurt by the analysis? Get over it. It's fun.

all this speculation is like a trip to the dentist
Haha, some people hate it, some people don't.
rickinco123
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

12ersRule wrote: all this speculation is like a trip to the dentist
Yeah, lets wait to hear from those involved........ oh wait.
Hungry Jack
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

BHallDDS wrote:
longsroute.jpg
From their first-hand account when they talk about "downclimbing to find Clark's arrow only to end up at 200 ft cliffs", this makes me think they went up either the yellow, red or even the green route (therefore, not Keplinger's at all) and then ascended to the tops of the Palisades (indicated by the green arrows) hence, being at the edge of the cliffs. I've never been in either of those couloirs some I'm not sure how nasty they are. But if they are anything like Keplinger's, certainly gross.

Why's everyone getting all butthurt by the analysis? Get over it. It's fun.
You know what? I think they were trapped behind the Wal-Mart in Boulder.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Let me see if I've gotten all the options discussed so far...
speculation.JPG
speculation.JPG (289.92 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Everyone else is posting maps with possible routes they took, so I'm going the club. I mean, I don't want to be all
Butthurt by the analysis. Get over it. It's fun.
longsroute.jpg
longsroute.jpg (220.38 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

EDIT: Damn, highpilgrim don't go ruining my fun. I don't want to be all butthurt again
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Hungry Jack
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Now we are getting somewhere.

All we need now is a Camp Gladiator contingent ensconced on the Loft, dressed in workout attire, doing cone drills.