Growing Winter Coats

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Growing Winter Coats

Post by d_baker »

Does anyone else grow a winter coat each season? Mine from last year, in frosty form:
A_real_ice_beard.JPG
A_real_ice_beard.JPG (170.81 KiB) Viewed 4513 times

This is mostly a post in support of those of us that grow beards, for instance the Boston Red Sox. ;)
B Strong, and beat the Cards! Fear the Beard.

(how long will this post stand in the Mountaineering Tales?)
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Growing Winter Coats

Post by mtngoat »

I'll be growing mine after Movember!

http://us.movember.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any mo-bros or mo-sistas out there?
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Growing beards in November is so mainstream. I'm going to shave every day in November just to be different.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Last shave for the year was the day before the equinox. It usually comes off ~6 months later but I might keep it a bit longer this year.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

working at home has its advantages, as in not having to look "professional" in an office setting. Shaving usually happens when I start to get annoyed at how long it gets :)
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
michaelgrundy
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 49 2
Trip Reports (21)

Post by michaelgrundy »

I usually shave the goatee off at the end of September and start growing the beard around October 1. I keep it for about 6 or 7 months and then go back to the goatee. (My wife doesn't like me sans facial hair...)
Oman
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Oman »

My face is way too beautiful to be covered with hair.

More and more, this includes the top of my head too.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I normally trim mine every other week or so, but on occasion I let it go for a month. Any longer than that and the manliness becomes overpowering. Winter is a great time for lazy shaving habits because there's nothing more guaranteed to attract women than a snot-stache.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

I can't because I would look like Joe Dirt 8-[
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Dang sexy alright.
frozen-beard.jpg
frozen-beard.jpg (23.4 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Fun Fact:
When passing another climber on the trail the man with the lesser beard must always yield right-of-way to the man with the more impressive beardaclava
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

d_baker wrote:Does anyone else grow a winter coat each season? Mine from last year, in frosty form:
A_real_ice_beard.JPG

This is mostly a post in support of those of us that grow beards, for instance the Boston Red Sox. ;)
B Strong, and beat the Cards! Fear the Beard.

(how long will this post stand in the Mountaineering Tales?)
You look about as bad as Mike Napoli in that pic (disclaimer: I'm a Cardinal fan).
please rotate your device