Placita man hikes to Capitol Peak site where his brother was

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Placita man hikes to Capitol Peak site where his brother was

Post by myfeetrock »

I saw this article with Capitol Peak in the post independent today.

http://www.postindependent.com/news/106 ... sin-pierre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Placita man hikes to Capitol Peak site where his brother

Post by boudreaux »

Clarke Heckert got some closure and some huge insight into his brother's decision making!

Reminds me of the time I glissaded off Old Main in the Snowy Range. Trying to beat the sun, I slide down this wide basin with a bottleneck above the run-out way below. I had no axe that day, but picked up a couple pointed rocks for braking, it looked like an easy slide on a low angle snowfield. As soon as I launched, I knew I was in big trouble, a layer of ice was below the cover of snow, unseen to me, and now I am flying. I don't know how I didn't panic, I lose my glasses, and then the rocks, snow flying in my face blinding me. Somehow I was able to maintain control and see what was coming up. Approaching the bottleneck, I can see a ramp built up on the upslope side of a rock. If I would have hit that ramp, I'm sure I would have launched myself about a 100 feet and sustained some serious injury. Using my arms as rudders, brakes, I missed that ramp by a couple of feet and finally came to rest about a 100 yards downslope and got up and walked out to the road. My life didn't flash before my eyes, but it was a close call I don't care to repeat. Lesson learned that day is never glissade without an ice axe, never, never! My hands were numb for 2 weeks. Everything seemed so much more vivid, life is precious kind of feeling for a few days. That was the stupidest thing I ever did and lucky to have survived it. Never underestimate even the smaller peaks, the other lesson I learned that day.
Ragin Cajun
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Placita man hikes to Capitol Peak site where his brother

Post by GeezerClimber »

Very cool story, thanks for posting.

I can't imagine glissading down the south face.

Capitol is a special mountain to so many Coloradans.

Dave