10 Year Anniversary

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
esagas
14ers: 46  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 10 Year Anniversary

Post by esagas »

You're the best, Bill! =D>
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

It's all your fault. Damn you Bill Middlebrook!

Seriously, thank you a million times over for providing this site. It's been a wonderful resource for me for planning hikes and climbs. Not just the route descriptions, but also photos, weather info, trailhead info and the suggestions/advice of others. I've also made friends, acquaintances and hiking partners through this site.

Again, thank you!
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
scott goldberg
14ers: 41  2 
13ers: 37 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by scott goldberg »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Thanks Bill! To another 10 years!!!
XPLSV
14ers: 28 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XPLSV »

Wow...time flies when one starts getting old...
Bernie

It's an interglacial period...
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

10 years of stealing thousands of man hours from corporate America! Way to go! =D> =D> =D> DYBM

Seriously though, 10 years is great! Thanks!!
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

Wow, I've been registered on this site for over 10 years?! That is crazy. Since I've only made time to climb like two 14ers in the past 3 years, I had to find something to post about. In other news, fleetwife is pregnant, so I am soon to be the fleetmack daddy.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

Thanks Bill, It's Been Great To Be With You Since You Started. I Have Always Treasured This Site And The Great People And Info Obtained From It. Great To Climb With You As We'll And hope To Again Someday.
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

DArcyS wrote:I suppose if this is the 10-year anniversary of the emergence of 14ers.com, this would also mark the 10-year anniversary of the decline of 14erWorld.

Somebody mentioned Bill's vision, but I think Steve Hoffmeyer should be noted for his vision (Steve was first, afterall). Although given the prevalence of bulletin boards, perhaps the emergence was inevitable. (And marked a vast improvement over list servers, if anybody remembers those.)

One difference I noted between Bill and Steve concerns CFI. Hoffmeyer seemed -- if my recollection is correct -- to have an antagnostic relationship with CFI because of these monster cairns. In contrast, Bill is on CFI's board of directors. I tip my hat to the guy who does things to make positive contributions.

Second, this is the legacy of 14erWorld. The success of any forum depends upon the contributions of the community. Many people contributed trip reports to 14erWorld, and now Hoffmeyer has elected to keep these reports to himself. It's a purely selfish act -- people contributed much to help Hoffmeyer, and this is how he says thanks to the climbing community.

Between the webmasters of 14ers.com and 14erWorld, I have no doubt the right guy won the war. To be clear, I don't wish ill-will upon Hoffmeyer, but I think the right guy won the war.
I just read this again, and it does have a negative tone towards Hoffmeyer. I thought it was selfish for Steve to keep all of those trip reports to himself. Apparently Steve has had a change of heart and is now allowing access to trip reports and even to post on the forum at 14erWorld. Huh, go figure, but I'm willing to bet this allowed Steve to feel better about himself and the end of 14erWorld, as sometimes it is better to give than receive.
ctlee
14ers: 19  4 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ctlee »

I'm psyched that my 10 year anniversary in Colorado coincides with 14ers.com's!!! I joined the site in 2007- how did I ever make it up Bierstadt I'm '06 without it? I never dreamed I would have accomplished what I have in mountains and I'm grateful to the members of this site and especially Bill Middlebrook- representing for the home state Connecticut-for his tireless effort to keep this incredible site updated and classy! :-)
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi