10 Year Anniversary

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

10 Year Anniversary

Post by EatinHardtack »

Messing around on the forum this morning while at work, hopefully most people are out enjoying today, and ran across some notable names that will mark 10 years on the forum. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

Thanks for everything Bill.

Of course The Bill Middlebrook - July 25
CONative - July 26
Doumall - July 28
SarahT - July 29
Nathan Hale - July 31
ColoradoGuy - August 2
Shanahan96 - September 3
ChicagoTransplant -September 7
glodder - October 18
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Re: 10 Year Anniversary

Post by BKS »

Thanks to Bill for this site.

I am grateful for your vision, energy and money to start this, constant effort to maintain it, ongoing desire to make improvements, mature wisdom in handling difficult situations on the forum, and fostering a community of quality people who share a common love. There is a very good balance between oversight and user generated content and freedom, in my opinion. The willingness of the experienced to help novices gain information, skills and judgment to pursue adventures has been one of the most outstanding aspects of the site. 14ers.com is a class act.

This site has drastically changed my life. Years of drooling at trip reports, seeing relationships knit together through this site, and the hunger to spend more than a week or two per year in mountains, led me to uproot my family and move to the mountains at the age of 50. Heck, I skied Democrat this morning with a great partner I met on 14ers.com. It was good. Living in Missouri I lacked the fitness level, skiing ability, and location to take advantage of such adventures.

Thanks Hardtack for using your work time in a worthwhile way this morning :) to remind us of a significant milestone.

Here's to another 10 years.

Brian Sommers
glodder
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (22)

Post by glodder »

Wow, 10 years! I can't believe it either.

A huge thanks to Bill Middlebrook! I echo BKS and EatinHardtack in that this site has had a huge impact on my life in many ways. Obviously, the Trip Reports have been hugely valuable, but the commentary, advice and encouragement from 14ers.com members over the years have been even bigger. And the best part has been the fact that I have made many great friends with common interests, because of this website and because of the 14ers.com Facebook forum.

I look forward to many more years to come.

Thanks,

Todd
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

+1 Best site ever!
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Wow, 10 years is quite the landmark. 14ers outlasted MySpace!

And yeah, +1, helluva site. I don't even climb the 14ers and I spend more time here than anywhere else.
Make wilderness less accessible.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Al.gif
Al.gif (2.72 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
Congrats!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
druid2112
14ers: 46  6 
13ers: 32 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by druid2112 »

This is my favorite site, period. As an IT guy myself (like many members, I'm sure), I can't think of one thing about it that isn't superlative. As a climber, well.... let's just say it's an invaluable tool and a great community.

Thanks!
"You can't really dust for vomit." - Nigel Tufnel
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Good timing, today is the 10th anniversary of the day I packed up the U-haul to move to Colorado. Right about now I would have been driving across western Iowa after lunch in Des Moines. Then we stayed in Nebraska that night, and then stayed in Summit County on the 30th before popping over Vail Pass and moving into my Avon apartment on May 1. First day of work was May 5... after a day at A-Basin when I finished unpacking :-D

Hard to believe its been 10 years, it has gone fast!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

spong0949 wrote:+1 Best site ever!
+100! Thanks so much for all the work you do on this site! I am hoping/planning to finish all the 14ers this year and I can honestly say that it would not have happended, if it weren't for all the resources and information on this site! I'm sure I'm only one of many who feel this way!

Thanks again and happy trails!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
XMULE
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by XMULE »

As of this moment, 47 people have taken time to get in their 2 cents worth in the p#*%ing match on fees while 8 have bothered to say thanks Bill!

](*,)

Make that 9: Thanks Bill!!
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

XMULE wrote:As of this moment, 47 people have taken time to get in their 2 cents worth in the p#*%ing match on fees while 8 have bothered to say thanks Bill!
There's a p#*%ing match going on?!? Lol. The forum is 10 years old? Yikes

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I appreciate it and will continue to work hard to move the site forward.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

XMULE wrote:As of this moment, 47 people have taken time to get in their 2 cents worth in the p#*%ing match on fees while 8 have bothered to say thanks Bill!

](*,)

Make that 9: Thanks Bill!!
I am happy to make it 10. Thanks Bill for all you do for us!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down