Drone climber on CPR 10am today

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
twhalm
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Drone climber on CPR 10am today

Post by twhalm »

peter303 wrote: I hope any self-respecting human climber will swat them down.
I would imagine it looking something like this...

[youtubevideo]PRzQI0Z5BF8#t=33[/youtubevideo]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Z5BF8#t=33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by twhalm on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

peter303 wrote: I hope any self-respecting human climber will swat them down.

...and then be charged with destruction of property, and have to pay the owner for damages
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Personally, I'm not concerned about "cheating" (I've "cheated"/aided plenty of rocks that I was too fat to climb), but personally I don't really like the idea of drones in wild places. I hope they don't become commonplace.
Last edited by Scott P on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Scott P wrote:I'm not concerned about "cheating", but I don't really like the idea of drones in wild places. I hope they don't become commonplace.
They are currently banned in National Parks. Outside of that they can operate anywhere as long as FAA regulations are followed.
vonmackle
14ers: 30 
13ers: 93 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by vonmackle »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
Scott P wrote:I'm not concerned about "cheating", but I don't really like the idea of drones in wild places. I hope they don't become commonplace.
They are currently banned in National Parks. Outside of that they can operate anywhere as long as FAA regulations are followed.
What about wilderness areas?
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

vonmackle wrote:
Somewhat of a Prick wrote:
What about wilderness areas?
Not allowed.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

twhalm wrote:They just got a first ascent on a choss tower
No they didn't.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

jomagam wrote:
No they didn't.
Yes, they did.

FA /= FFA
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

jomagam wrote:
No they didn't.
Haha. Um, then who did????

Also, the Honnold talk made me thing of this...
If it's not solo then it doesn't count.
If it's not solo then it doesn't count.
Not a FA.jpg (205.91 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
EDIT: For anybody who cares about the CPR clip...http://www.cpr.org/news/story/drone-ass ... et-outrage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Brian C on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

In this thread: people who toprope moderate sport routes giving their opinion on first ascent ethics of adventure routes
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Brian C wrote:
jomagam wrote:
No they didn't.
Haha. Um, then who did????
Nobody yet. I know he's a member here, and I'm sure he's an awesome guy, and this was a fun project to do with a drone, and kudos for not grid-bolting the rock, but that does not negate the fact that they were using a drone as an integral part of getting to the top, which invalidates this as a climbing/mountaineering activity. I have absolutely no problem with doing stuff like this, but calling it a first ascent is just silly. Would you have called it a first ascent if they built a scaffolding to surmount the overhang ? Or hired a helicopter to rappel a foot below the summit ?
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I don't give a flying !#@ that they used a flying !#@ to claim the FA of some choss pile that no one in their right mind would try to free climb. But I am sick of hearing about it all over the place though. First it was on the e-mail newsletter from Climbing magazine, then someone who's offended by their style started a thread on 14ers.com, and yesterday I heard it on NPR. Will we see TV interviews next? It's really not such a big deal. It's a FA of a giant pile of mud that I for one don't really care. If you care so much about the style of the FA, then go do it in better style. Maybe free it and claim the FFA. End of the story.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign