Hikers find missing family in Colorado wilderness

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Hikers find missing family in Colorado wilderness

Post by Tory Wells »

Odd that someone who lives in the area (Durango) would ask directions from someone who's from a different state, and then ironic that someone from a different continent would help lead them back out when they got lost. I would be pretty embarrassed right now if I was dad, and would not be pointing fingers at someone else.

Otherwise, I'm very glad this had a positive outcome. Good on dad for being prepared for a night (or three) out in the wilderness, when the plan was a simple dayhike.

Lessons we can all learn from, good and bad.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Tory Wells wrote:Odd that someone who lives in the area (Durango) would ask directions from someone who's from a different state
As if Texans are supposed to have a st*r sewn on the left breast of each jacket and shirt??
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

TallGrass wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:Odd that someone who lives in the area (Durango) would ask directions from someone who's from a different state
As if Texans are supposed to have a st*r sewn on the left breast of each jacket and shirt??
He knew the guy was from Texas because he later told the sheriff that when relaying his story. No st*r patches necessary, smarty pants.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the wife waited until 10:15 p.m. Sunday to report that they hadn't returned from a day hike Saturday?

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20 ... her-hikers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

DurangoJenn wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the wife waited until 10:15 p.m. Sunday to report that they hadn't returned from a day hike Saturday?
He had a tent with him (and actually took it on the hike, apparently).
Plausible scenario: Dad planned to hikes and camp with the kids all weekend, come back Sun afternoon. And they knew cell phone reception wasn't reliable. Maybe Mom was out of town anyway until Sun night.