Hikers find missing family in Colorado wilderness

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Hikers find missing family in Colorado wilderness

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
forwardbias
14ers: 5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Hikers find missing family in Colorado wilderness

Post by forwardbias »

The other article I saw on this group had the father blaming a out of state person (Texan) for giving them bad directions. It sounded like they had no map and seemed to be unable to retrace their steps. Overall sounds like an example of some pretty bad example of managing their outdoor trip safely.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

forwardbias wrote:The other article I saw on this group had the father blaming a out of state person (Texan) for giving them bad directions. It sounded like they had no map and seemed to be unable to retrace their steps. Overall sounds like an example of some pretty bad example of managing their outdoor trip safely.
I saw several other news agencies reporting that the Dad was blaming bad directions from Texans as the reason he became lost on his way to Dollar lake. Lame that he blames someone else instead of being prepared with map, trip directions, guide book, GPS, compass, etc.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/19/ba ... ss-family/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

I don't know... the dad had a tent, extra food, and fire starter for a day hike, and managed to keep his three young kids safe for three days out in the woods. Sounds like he was pretty well prepared to me!
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Wow, you go into the wilderness with three young kids and don’t know how to get where you want to go. But I guess it is ok to blame somebody else when you get lost, because they are from Texas.

I am glad they are ok, but step up and take some responsibility.
Century Bound, eventually.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

Prepared with supplies maybe, but seems like he got pretty lost if he was planning a day hike and ended up being led out by someone else after 3 days. I still don't agree with him blaming someone else for being lost. Even if someone else gave him wrong directions (or possibly right directions and he didn't follow them) he is still accountable for getting himself back to trail head.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Those damn Texans. Always giving bad advice. He should have streamed the whole encounter on Facebook Live.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Meh. While it is inconceivable to me that anyone can get lost enough to not able to retrace their own steps, I’ve also come to realize that not everyone process my awesome and flawless homing ability in the wilderness. I just feel that everyone is too quick to criticize what the dad did wrong, so I decided to point out what he did right. But I have to admit, playing the armchair quarterback is tons of fun.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

Dan_Suitor wrote:Wow, you go into the wilderness with three young kids and don’t know how to get where you want to go. But I guess it is ok to blame somebody else when you get lost, because they are from Texas.

I am glad they are ok, but step up and take some responsibility.
Sometimes people feel the need to shift the blame away from themselves because they lack personal responsibility. Sad.

I mean it's the Texan's fault he chose to go into the wilderness with his family. Damn those mind-altering manipulative Texans, we need to put up signs to warn against them.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elhombre »

Funny he remembers that Texans screwed him but he couldn't remember the way out. Glad he made it out alright.
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

To be fair, he in turn gave the Texan some bad directions on how to prepare for a hiking trip with three kids. :P

We all make mistakes, and it's understandable that he'd like to deflect some of the heat which the media only amplifies. We all live 'n learn, though I'd be curious if the wife gives him a second chance trip with the kids to show he has. Mountains are a helluva classroom.

Tip of the hat to the Aussies who guided him out =D> , as I'm sure any hiker encountering the family would have.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Glad they're OK!
While it's possible he's been angrily cursing and blaming a specific Texan for the entire debacle, it's also possible that he just made a flip comment describing some of the ordeal (as to why he headed in that direction) -- which became the headline -- and it doesn't mean he's not taking general responsibility.

Glad they made it out and sadly it leads to questions (seen in the newspaper comments) of hiking with kids in wilderness, off-trail, etc. in general.