Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Peak Checklists

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 pm

What about search and rescue members who have to risk their lives to save said people?

I think we may need to agree to disagree on this one.

btw, LOVE that Twain quote, hadn't seen it before :D
Last edited by AndYouSeeMe on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:04 pm

silverlynx wrote:It's totally valid to be proud of your stats and want to have higher peak numbers than other people; it does not imply that someone is risking their life for an arbitrary reason, however.


AndYouSeeMe wrote:That's just the way some people are, and I guess I just need to get better at ignoring and distancing myself from those negative influences who seem to be doing things for all the wrong reasons.


2 very true statements. I'm settled on this matter and won't say anything else.

And ya, humbleness is a word, but I did have to make sure after you questioned it :lol:
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Abe I think you're just upset that you only have one measly peak skied under your name. :lol:

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D>

F BOMB! You caught me!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

User avatar
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Boulder

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby milan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:50 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
I have met people from this site who should brag yet are so humble and are willing to listen to what you have to say. I definietly try to learn from these people beacuse I feel humblesness goes a long way...but thats just me.



+1. Abe, I completely agree with this, I think everyone should be humble in the mountains, everyone has something yet to learn and you are right, there are so many knowledgable people who we can meet here and learn from.
I can see your point that maybe the numbres and adds may encourage someone to do stupid things that they would have better numbers to brag about themselves. Its wrong but I dont think its the fault of this web site or the numbers themselves.

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 am

Actually Matt, you're more near the core of the issue. We'll just go with my ski descent of Sherman though.

I should of just shut up from the get go. Now I'm part of stupid 14ers drama
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby dannyg23 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:57 am

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Now I'm part of stupid 14ers drama



HAHAHAHA

User avatar
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Estes Park

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby Kiefer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:24 am

Damn, Abe. You got lucky. =P~ I was going to taunt you with a cool Lord Helmut picture!
-What do ya think about this wknd? Can ya make it?

Anyone know when did the [img] tags disappeared?
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

User avatar
Posts: 1462
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Denver/Golden

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 am

I like the changes. The simple fact of it is there are more people pursuing the winter list in 2012 than even as recently as a year or two ago. (Not decided if I'm one of them, yet.) If displaying the total number of 13ers and 14ers is OK, I don't have a philosophical problem with also displaying the peaks skied or winter summits.

That said, I agree with many of the points made in this thread. I've noticed, especially in the past few months, more and more people acting pretentious/knowledgeable/experienced/arrogant solely because of the number of boxes they've ticked. I have 11 winter 14ers. Abe has 7. Does that make me better than him, or mean that I'm more accomplished? Eff no. I know for a fact he's not only much faster than me, but also a more skilled technical climber with probably double my mountaineering know-how. His Capitol winter summit is worth more than all 11 of mine combined. :lol: There are people who are putting too much emphasis on numbers, and it has the potential to become dangerous -- not only because these individuals are going into the mountains for the wrong reasons, but also because they puff their chests out on the forum and give mounds upon mounds of bad advice.

It's great to be proud of your accomplishments. I'm a 25-year-old male who will admit to being extremely competitive. As d_baker initially said, everyone has an ego. I've done a few things I'm particularly proud of and I have some lofty goals. That said, I don't feel the need to bring them up every chance I get in an attempt to prove how awesome of a mountaineer I am. I have much more respect for people who I know have done great deeds in the mountains and possess years upon years of experience yet practice humility, as opposed to someone who acts publicly like having 7 winter 14ers checked is equivalent to the Seven Summits.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

User avatar
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 am
Location: Golden/Lakewood, Colorado

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby kushrocks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I like the changes. The simple fact of it is there are more people pursuing the winter list in 2012 than even as recently as a year or two ago. (Not decided if I'm one of them, yet.) If displaying the total number of 13ers and 14ers is OK, I don't have a philosophical problem with also displaying the peaks skied or winter summits.

That said, I agree with many of the points made in this thread. I've noticed, especially in the past few months, more and more people acting pretentious/knowledgeable/experienced/arrogant solely because of the number of boxes they've ticked. I have 11 winter 14ers. Abe has 7. Does that make me better than him, or mean that I'm more accomplished? Eff no. I know for a fact he's not only much faster than me, but also a more skilled technical climber with probably double my mountaineering know-how. His Capitol winter summit is worth more than all 11 of mine combined. :lol: There are people who are putting too much emphasis on numbers, and it has the potential to become dangerous -- not only because these individuals are going into the mountains for the wrong reasons, but also because they puff their chests out on the forum and give mounds upon mounds of bad advice.

It's great to be proud of your accomplishments. I'm a 25-year-old male who will admit to being extremely competitive. As d_baker initially said, everyone has an ego. I've done a few things I'm particularly proud of and I have some lofty goals. That said, I don't feel the need to bring them up every chance I get in an attempt to prove how awesome of a mountaineer I am. I have much more respect for people who I know have done great deeds in the mountains and possess years upon years of experience yet practice humility, as opposed to someone who acts publicly like having 7 winter 14ers checked is equivalent to the Seven Summits.


AMEN BROTHER!!! I couldn't agree more.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 am

Couldn't have said it better myself Jeff. Lord knows I tried :lol:

User avatar
Posts: 932
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:55 pm
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby nkan02 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:08 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:I just wanted to make a comment about the new addition you made concerning the peak counter that appears to the right of everyone's name showing the number peaks done in winter and skied.

Edit: I think it’s a really good addition for the checklist when you actually go and click on the person’s list but having it smack dab in front is what I don’t really fancy.

While I agree with Abe's comment and sentiment in general (and the suggestion to keep winter ascent and ski descent icons "behind the scenes"), I'd say it had the opposite effect on me. I was really surprised to see that some very talented, highly respected, strong mountaineers do not have a lot of ski and winter ascents under their name. And it is ok, my respect for them did not lessen because of that. In fact, it would be quite ok for me to take things slowly, as acquiring such ascents (safely!) generally takes time.

Going back to Bills comment that this additional information would help in evaluating potential partners - true, but in any case it should take a bit more research than just glancing at the avatar. The granularity can go pretty far - let's just start posting our average speeds per mile, # of instances we broke the trail vs. poached it, success ratio based on # of summits vs attempts and if we like to hike in good weather only or fair game for subpar weather conditions. I am fairly confident though, that even knowing all these data points won't be enough to evaluate a potential partner at face value.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests