Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14er Peak Checklists

Check here for updates to the forum and site.

Re: 14er Peak Checklists

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:15 pm

I hated to call you out Matt. I'm seriously a very non-confrontational person and all about the peace. Plus, I'm no one. Just an ordinary, average guy...to quote Walsh.

Good luck to you man.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby d_baker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

silverlynx wrote:I think we should have a pancake breakfast......... on a 14er.

mmmm.....pancakes. :)

Postby gonzalj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Definitely love pancakes. When & where we shooting for that one?

Postby d_baker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

DeucesWild wrote:The only reason I post a peak list is to impress people.

Ok. I'll admit it, and please don't be offended. But your peak list doesn't impress me. ;)
At least you have a snowflake now, and Live2 or Live4 or rustic or whoever the hell he is, does not.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:33 pm

I climb for one person, and one person only. ME.

This so-called sport of ours that we all love so much is predominantly an individual sport. I don't care if anyone is impressed with my list or not, I didn't join the site to impress people, I joined it to help people. I like to think that I occasionally have some tidbit of knowledge to offer others, maybe route info on a less traveled peak or first hand conditions info for something I recently climbed, or maybe advice for or against a piece of gear I have experience with. Or sometimes just to have fun on the goof ball threads when I am bored at work 8)

The new additions to the peak checklists are more of a novelty to me. A sort of "hmm, I didn't no so-and-so had done X ski descents", but it doesn't slant my opinion of people one way or the other. Honestly, I don't have much opinion of anonymous internet "friends" anyway. I barely judge people in person, why would I waste my time judging them on-line? I have never met a person I can't get along with in some capacity, even people that others in on-line communities have vilified. I am sure I could get along with every one of you here too.

As for the numbers on a checklist meaning anything, I remember a time when a well accomplished and highly respected member of our 14ers.com family was being told "what does he know" from someone soliciting advice simply because his tick list only had 20 or so 14ers on it (never mind his countless international and high altitude trips). Seems that there are people who think that if it isn't above 14k and in Colorado its not a real mountain and doesn't count for anything. To those people I say, "how many Colorado 14ers has Ed Viesturs done?" - I bet on this site some people would call him a "noob" :lol:
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby d_baker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 pm

DeucesWild wrote:
d_baker wrote:Ok. I'll admit it, and please don't be offended. But your peak list doesn't impress me.

Well, I guess I could just jump right in and go for it. Maybe a winter ascent and ski of the Needle would do it? Boy, if that's what it takes to impress, I'll have to consider it even though I wouldn't have pegged you for encouraging people to exceed their skill level in order to gain cred.

But seriously, how could I take offense with you Compadre?

#-o [-X
You're right. What a bad example I have set here. Kids at home, don't take my comment to The Deuce as positive encouragement -- it was not. ;)
And here I am, making statements like that when I get concerned when others give advice in areas they don't have experience with. For instance suggesting Ice Mtn as a beginner Class 3 scramble, or when possible avalanche conditions are determined as not an issue, when professionals (i.e., CAIC) suggest otherwise.

Compadre out.

@Chicago --- you're right, you could get along with anyone. I admire that about your character. Kudos, friend.

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Chicago Transplant wrote:I climb for one person, and one person only. ME.

This so-called sport of ours that we all love so much is predominantly an individual sport. I don't care if anyone is impressed with my list or not, I didn't join the site to impress people, I joined it to help people. I like to think that I occasionally have some tidbit of knowledge to offer others, maybe route info on a less traveled peak or first hand conditions info for something I recently climbed, or maybe advice for or against a piece of gear I have experience with. Or sometimes just to have fun on the goof ball threads when I am bored at work 8)

This. The list I keep here is for my tracking purposes only. I really don't care what anyone else thinks of it. What I do need to do, though, is create a spreadsheet that I can work with offline because -- let's face it -- 14ers.com may not continue on past Bill and I'd hate to lose track of the total summits.

If you see someone else's peak list as competition, then that's a personal issue with you. The goals that you set should be for yourself and not for or in spite of anyone else. When I look at someone else's peak list, I'm not doing so for one-upmanship. It's not threatening to me in the slightest. I do so because I know that there are things that I can potentially learn from that individual and possibly for inspiration. There are many people here whose 13ers list is something that I aspire to. I enjoy being a part of the community and to offer thoughts or opinions when I have some to offer. Not only that, but for the constant flow of up-to-date information. When I first started out I had many, many questions that folks helped me out with, so I feel I should do my part and give back some of that generosity to others. That's all.

Previous