Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New Forum Look

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
User avatar
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: New Forum Look

Postby djkest » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:44 am

DeucesWild wrote:
14erFred wrote:But that's just my own personal opinion.


Everybody's got one.

Mountain bigots. :roll:


Wait so this is... 14ers.com, and you are upset that people only want to see 14ers on it? There are lots of websites that have 13ers or other mountains on them. There are only 2 (well 1) website that is dedicated to 14ers.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

User avatar
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 am
Location: Michigan

Re: New Forum Look

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:57 am

d_baker wrote:Edit: And oh yeah, why in the pop-up window of my profile do I see "2 unread pm's sent" displayed while in my inbox view, it shows all messages I've sent as being read? It's done this for a while.


Me too.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Site Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 6608
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:34 pm
Location: Breckenridge, CO

Re: New Forum Look

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:57 am

djkest wrote:I have a complaint that not everyone will agree with-
The summit panoramas now include lots of 13ers.

I have nothing "against" 13ers and I am sure they are great mountains. But I am not familiar with 13ers. So when the 13er pops up, I spend a lot of time scrutinizing and looking at it, only to be fooled. I am trying to memorize all the 14er panos, but this is hurting my progress. I guess that sounds a little selfish, but it IS 14ers.com... and there is a separate 13ers.com website.

I hear ya. Maybe I could just put a "Only Show 14er Panos" option on the Display Settings page for those who don't want the 13er panos displayed.

Yes, the site is dedicated to 14ers and that will remain the main focus but, just like the trip report pages and peak lists, I've integrated 13ers because so many of us climb them along with the 14ers. I think having 13er info makes it more of a one-stop shopping for beta. Oh, and those 13er summit panos show 14ers from a different angle. :)
Only SNOW will end the madness

User avatar
Posts: 1117
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Williams County ND and Desert Hills AZ

Re: New Forum Look

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:17 am

Holy Cow. Granted the site is 14ers.com, but if the only details and TR's shared here were solely about the 14ers the site might get routine, then boring. Having access to links such as the 13ers, with supporting panoramas and trip reports adds tremendous dimension to those who enjoy hiking both classes. Where would the site be without the TR's not only of the 14ers and 13ers but mountain endeavors around the world? This is a fine one-stop site four much useful high country info.

If Bill expands his already limited time into creating an 11ers or 12ers link into the Beartooth/Absaroka Wilderness I might get worried about the site ...
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

User avatar
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: Land of Fruits and Nuts

Re: New Forum Look

Postby painless4u2 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 am

Complaining about including mountains other than 14ers on the panoramic views? People, please, get a life! It's just a nice, informative website, for crying out loud. So what if it includes a nice variety? Sheesch!
Last edited by painless4u2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

User avatar
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: waiting to see if my doom is impending

Re: New Forum Look

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:25 am

djkest wrote:Wait so this is... 14ers.com, and you are upset that people only want to see 14ers on it?


You're right. I stand corrected. Nothing lower than 14k is even worth looking at.

I would now like to see any crappy mountains in the background of actual 14ers photo-shopped out of the frame.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Re: New Forum Look

Postby benners » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:48 am

If you aren't sure which peak a summit pano was taken from, you can always just hover over the blue info icon in the upper left hand corner of the pano and it will tell you what the peak is :roll:.

User avatar
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: New Forum Look

Postby djkest » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 am

DeucesWild wrote:
djkest wrote:Wait so this is... 14ers.com, and you are upset that people only want to see 14ers on it?


You're right. I stand corrected. Nothing lower than 14k is even worth looking at.

I would now like to see any crappy mountains in the background of actual 14ers photo-shopped out of the frame.


Nice, but I never said that. I just said on 14ers.com it would be nice if the Panos were from 14ers. But thanks for your sarcasm- your post was so worthwhile.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

User avatar
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:16 am
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

Re: New Forum Look

Postby d_baker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:03 pm

If you look hard enough (and you really don't need to look that hard), you will see 14ers in those 13er pans you're not a fan of.
If you're a fan of 14ers, seems like you would like the 13er pans since they show 14ers.
Just a thought.

What Mark Steiner said I totally agree with....

Mark A Steiner wrote:Holy Cow. Granted the site is 14ers.com, but if the only details and TR's shared here were solely about the 14ers the site might get routine, then boring. Having access to links such as the 13ers, with supporting panoramas and trip reports adds tremendous dimension to those who enjoy hiking both classes. Where would the site be without the TR's not only of the 14ers and 13ers but mountain endeavors around the world? This is a fine one-stop site four much useful high country info.

If Bill expands his already limited time into creating an 11ers or 12ers link into the Beartooth/Absaroka Wilderness I might get worried about the site ...

User avatar
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: New Forum Look

Postby 14erFred » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 pm

d_baker wrote:If you look hard enough (and you really don't need to look that hard), you will see 14ers in those 13er pans you're not a fan of...

Thanks for noting this, db...being myopically obsessed with 14ers, I didn't possess the openness of mind even to consider this possibility. I appreciate you pointing it out. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 14er(s) in the background of the 13er panos, from now on. Live and learn.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

User avatar
Posts: 2046
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Edwards (Singletree), CO

Re: New Forum Look

Postby gdthomas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Bill, the new look is terrific. You continue to do an excellent job keeping the veteran members engaged and the new members believing they found Shangri La.

User avatar
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:16 am
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

Re: New Forum Look

Postby d_baker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:30 am

14erFred wrote:
d_baker wrote:If you look hard enough (and you really don't need to look that hard), you will see 14ers in those 13er pans you're not a fan of...

Thanks for noting this, db...being myopically obsessed with 14ers, I didn't possess the openness of mind even to consider this possibility. I appreciate you pointing it out. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the 14er(s) in the background of the 13er panos, from now on. Live and learn.

For example, look at the Marble Mtn pano, and you'll see some beautiful perspectives on the local 14ers. Enjoy!

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests