Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm...

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Site Administrator

I'm the map, I'm the map, I'm...

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 am

Using Google Maps, I made some enhancements to the 14er Map page. I still have a few changes to make so trailheads, 14er weather and other links show up in the info windows but it's much better than the old map.

If you have any problems using the new map w/overlays, please post in this thread.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: 14er Map Updated

Postby edhaman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 am

I don't know if this is related to your changes, or if I've been sleep-climbing and sleep-posting, but when I go to "Weather by 14er" it shows that I've climbed all of the 14ers.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:03 am

edhaman wrote:I don't know if this is related to your changes, or if I've been sleep-climbing and sleep-posting, but when I go to "Weather by 14er" it shows that I've climbed all of the 14ers.

Hmm, I'll look at that. Thanks!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:53 pm

And thanks to MountainHiker and the very helpful GIS staff in Denver, it now has USGS Quads! \:D/

http://www.14ers.com/map.php

The 4WD road overlay is large and slow, plus it doesn't always load. I blame the Google Maps api

Postby Fisching » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Bill,

I just wanted to say thanks for all you do. I wish there was more I could do to give back other than saying it's really appreciated.

~Greg
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks, Greg!

Right now I'm trying to plow through a bunch of site changes before heading into the backcountry for most of July. :D

Postby CarpeDM » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:36 pm

F'ing awesome!
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:38 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:And thanks to MountainHiker and the very helpful GIS staff in Denver, it now has USGS Quads! \:D/

I was just the link between 2 people who knew what they were doing! Nice addition! :D
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:28 am

edhaman wrote:I don't know if this is related to your changes, or if I've been sleep-climbing and sleep-posting, but when I go to "Weather by 14er" it shows that I've climbed all of the 14ers.

Fixed

Postby metalmountain » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:57 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
tmathews wrote:Just noticed that the West Willow Creek TH isn't marked (San Luis Peak)....

Yeah, that overlay is using a Google Earth KML file which I need to update manually, so some information may not match the TH page. Soon I'll be changing the map page to dynamically load the site data instead of using a static file. This involves writing a program that sweeps through the TH/13er/etc. tables and creates KML files which are then used by the map page. The program will also allow me to add more stuff to the overlays, such as TH page links.

Until I get that done, you may notice a few things missing or different.

Hey Bill, not sure if this is related or not. Its also possible its an issue on my end. But the "All 13ers in Google Maps" map hasn't been working for me in some time. The only peak it pulls up is Purgatoire Peak and there is no ability to zoom out or in.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby metalmountain » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
metalmountain wrote:Hey Bill, not sure if this is related or not. Its also possible its an issue on my end. But the "All 13ers in Google Maps" map hasn't been working for me in some time. The only peak it pulls up is Purgatoire Peak and there is no ability to zoom out or in.

I'll check it out. Sorry about that.
EDIT: Fixed

Awesome, you always fix things so damn fast!
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby YEONDERIN » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:19 am

As a map fanatic this is great to see. Thanks Bill, you’ve hit the ball outa the park once again.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)

Next