Looking for a 14er to climb close to Denver.

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
cameronius
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for a 14er to climb close to Denver.

Post by cameronius »

Question for the vets - I'm swinging through Denver on my way to Fruita in April and have a day or two to climb. Any opinion on what the best fourteener to climb closest to Denver is - or the best climbing on the way to Fruita? Looks like most stuff is a couple hours outside the city and I'm not very familiar with the area. Bringing all my gear and looking for anything Grade 4 and under. I'm sure some flaming is inevitable, but any suggestions (any at all!) on good climbing are welcome.
greenwade
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for a 14er to climb close to Denver.

Post by greenwade »

Let's see..between Denver and Fruita...not very many mountains, sadly.

Seriously, though, just take a look at the map on this site, pick one and go. In April you're bound to have some company along the trail. Right off of I-70 you've got Greys/Torreys, and not much further out of the way are Bierstadt/Evans, Quandry, the rest of the mosquitos...your best bet is to look at the map and pick a few options, then a few days before you're coming to CO check out this site and look for recent trip reports.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Grays & Torreys - if you are into Class 3 or better, attack Torrey's from Kelso Ridge; 20 minutes off I-70.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
areed20
14ers: 50  5  8 
13ers: 74 7 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by areed20 »

try the route selector tool. http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/routeselector.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Do you have a full set of avalanche gear and partners?
The on-off nature of spring snow, especially this year, makes
the danger particularly high - many incidents and deaths recently.
I'd recommend the low avy-approach on Quandry
for someone unfamiliar with Colorado mountains.
Its 30 minutes south of the Frisco I-70 exit
on a winter-maintained road.
Thats not all that much longer a drive compared
to getting up the Beirstadt or Grays trilhead at this time
of year.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

I'd choose Bierstadt first, then survey the area from high up and plan another 14er nearby. Guanella Pass may be an issue especially if you approach from Georgetown. Several recently have had some fortune getting to Duck Lake from Grant (US 285). You also have the option of an ascent of nearby Squaretop (13,794', W of Guanella Pass) that to me is more rewarding than Bierstadt for two reasons: the awesome views of the entire southern part of the Front Range and time to examine other opportunities to include additional nearby summits in the 13,500+ foot range. Anyway, have a great time.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

April on Bierstadt could be a posthole nightmare through the willows if you go on one of those sunny warm Spring days. Personally I think Quandary is a MUCH better choice for three reasons, 1] You can drive paved road practically to the summer trailhead and therefore your only looking at 7mile RT vs 10-11mile RT on Bierstadt given the lower road closure in winter 2] Quandary has much less of the posthole terrain than Bierstadt. 3] Quandary is near a nice town (Breckenridge) for your after hike pleasure.
briancolopy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by briancolopy »

How is Quandary for climb on Saturday? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

briancolopy wrote:How is Quandary for climb on Saturday? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.
Are you talking this Saturday or any saturday? Pretty much, just follow up the line of people until you get to the top. Do not get off trail. This mountain has one of the highest Search and rescue numbers because the standard ridge route is easy but there are some more trecharous areas on that mountain.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
briancolopy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by briancolopy »

The plan is this Saturday, March 27 if weather permits
HMS
14ers: 45  3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HMS »

We were planning on summiting Quandry tomorrow (March 27th) as well. Not sure given the weather though. Any thoughts on if it's worth the trek with the current conditions in mind?
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

The Dancesatmoonrise Theory:
We boot-pack Mary Jane in December to stabilize the snow and prepare the slopes for safe skiing.
Isn't the east ridge on Quandary essentially boot-packed all year long?
Quandary is a good bet in most conditions untill you're totally bored of it. Until then, go ahead and add to the veritable wealth of accumulating TR's.
Seriously, it's a great back-up plan if you must stand at 14,000 feet in snow conditions.

The Dancesatmoonrise Romantic Summit Answer:
Holy Cross. Not far at all off the Denver-Fruita route, it's a fabulous sight to behold. However, it will take planning, especially during snow season.
Observe RoanMtnMan's 7 P's and it will be the "Pinnacle" of your trip. (Proper Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.)

Torrey's is fun, too.
If you're into Fruita, you're probably bringing the bikes. A little later in the year, maybe you can bike Evans? I did a bike race up Evans over 20 years ago, not sure of current status - but something to consider for a future trip. Come to think of it, I may do that this summer - "Our Peak" - (Pikes) - they'll only let you bike the descent, and only if you pay a company $50. ("Progress" is over-rated...)

: )