Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by tmathews »

BAUMGARA wrote:
leelaasa1 wrote:I don't know a lot about the Spot devices but it seems strange that both would malfunction at the same time. Which makes sense that the devices were likely fine but they were just in a spot that could not reach a signal.
Re: the SPOT devices. Just a thought. If they had a personal GPS device on then and it was on this is most likely the cause of the malfunction. Its not necessarily a malfunction but rather just a matter of fact that other GPS devices will interfere with SPOT if they are too close to one another.
I had wondered about this for the past few days, myself. The SPOT manual does say that you should keep it at least 12" away from other GPS devices because of potential interference between them. After reading Travis' father's account of what occurred (and Travis' recent reply as well), I realized this wasn't the case.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

RIP Kevin.

And +1 to every other post on this thread (except the tech support ones).
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
flybeyes
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by flybeyes »

My heart goes out to all the friends and family that are part of Kevins life. I am a father of a 15yr old who has been hiking 14ers with me since he was 7. Someday I know he will be hiking on his own with his friends hence me teaching him and enjoying him for all of these years. My comment is this. I feel a need to show my support on Monday at the funeral. I would assume it will be very crowded although I do not know the families wishes. It would be nice if a show of support came from the hiking community. Since we do not know each other, can anyone think of a way to say we support and grieve with this family as fellow hikers? Maybe a blue or yellow ribbon, etc? I know they are all in our prayers but every person touches the lives of others in a different way and sometimes you just get the calling to support our fellow friends and families. Thoughts?
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Travis, I just got back from a few days in the San Juan - and got the word early Wed am while heading out. I thought about both of you on my middle day there- Wetterhorn and Uncompagre - knowing you and Kevin were just there the week before. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Please feel free to give a call or email if you need anything, or just need a friend to talk to.

Hang in there. Kevin meant a lot to so many of us. I am so proud of what the two of you have accomplished; you were both incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful partnership during Kevin's last days on earth.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Here's an example of a plaque in the Charon's Garden Wilderness of Oklahoma.

Shawnee Bob
14ers: 22 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Shawnee Bob »

Just reading through this thread and watching Kevin's video, I can't help but think I would have been blessed to know him and climb with him. Rest in peace, brother. See you on the other side.
Because life's too short to be an indoor cat.

http://proactiveoutside.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

Like many of you I've reviewed Kevin's TR's this past week and I thought this photo of him atop Mt Antero this past May is how I want to remember him - it says everything about him.
K Hayne Mt Antero 052210.jpg
K Hayne Mt Antero 052210.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
From his TR Mt Antero 052210
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

For those of you who pray - be praying for tomorrow specifically his family and friends - that the memorial service will celebrate his life the way his family and Kevin himself would want it. And for lives to be impacted in a positive way tomorrow the way Kevin impacted so many lives over the past 18 years.

KG

“For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.” 2 Corinthians 5:1 New Living Translation
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
K G Wright
14ers: 25 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by K G Wright »

My deepest condolences to Kevin Hayne's family and friends. My deepest sympathy to Travis Winders. My empathy to the community of mountaineers who have been affected by this incident.

Here's two Alamosa Volunteer Search And Rescue (AVSAR) links that include the mission summary and pictures:

http://www.avsar.us/index.php?p=1_8_Mission-Log" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pag ... 997?ref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please be aware that out of respect for Kevin, his family, and his close friends, neither I nor any other AVSAR personnel will communicate with the media or anyone else not directly involved with this incident. Thank you all for respecting this.

Kevin Wright, President
Alamosa Volunteer Search And Rescue
http://www.avsar.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevin Wright
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Thoreau
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

leelaasa1 wrote:I don't know a lot about the Spot devices but it seems strange that both would malfunction at the same time. Which makes sense that the devices were likely fine but they were just in a spot that could not reach a signal.
Unfortunately this same/similar problem has been described on the same mountain in a previous tragedy, in the book Colorado 14er Disasters.
page 96 wrote:The rock walls of the ridge and sides of the couloir surrounding the beacon severely limited its view of the sky, thus communication may have been lost as the satellites orbited, only to be regained hours later. Those mountaineers using technology that relies on satellites should be aware of this limitation.
CHWitte
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

May we now pray for all of the individuals touched by Kevin in which the Holy Spirit will continue to work in their hearts and minds for HIS sake. I did not know Kevin but from the way it sounds and from his video, he would desire for all of us to share a common faith in God for the good of this world and for salvation. I'm a Lutheran High School teacher and I know how important the word of God is in these schools. I pray for Lutheran High School Parker and for Kevin's family. May God bless you all.

David
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015
AlabamaTLC
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AlabamaTLC »

A truly remarkable young man...so tragic; prayers and sympathy to family and friends. Travis, you made the right decision. RIP Kevin, and continue to climb those mountains in Glorious High!
CHWitte
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (13)

Post by CHWitte »

If anyone is interested in giving directly to Lutheran High School Parker in honor of Kevin, here is the link to their giving page.

http://www.lhsparker.org/inside/give.html

Click on the green button that says "donate now" to their tuition assistance fund which will help more students like Kevin attend the school. Scroll down on the giving page to where it says "Lutheran High School Parker." The top of the page will say "Lutheran High School Denver" but you can be specific with your donation when you scroll down to LHSP. You can then add a note at the bottom of the page to make the donation specifically in honor of Kevin.

Their home page also has a short news section about Kevin if you want to read that at the following link:
http://www.lhsparker.org/
David R. Witte
CO 14er Finisher: July 2015