Rescue underway on Snowmass Mountain

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rescue underway on Snowmass Mountain

Post by timstich »

Very sorry to hear this.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Seven 14er fatalities this year:
Dead Dog avalanche
Sawtooth fall
Princeton slide
Missouri (2) fall unknown cause
Quandry heart attack
Snowmass rock slide
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

That is horrible news. RIP.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

peter303 wrote:Seven 14er fatalities this year:
Dead Dog avalanche
Sawtooth fall
Princeton slide
Missouri (2) fall unknown cause
Quandry heart attack
Snowmass rock slide
Yep.
Tim Jordan
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tim Jordan »

I don't think I ever heard anything else about it, but I am pretty certain there was a health related death (a woman) on Grays/Torreys on July 4.
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by hansolo35 »

surf n turf summed it up best... "there's nothing to be learned here".
sometimes s**t happens to the best of us. it's just a matter of bad circumstance/bad luck...being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Doesn't make Snowmass Mtn. any more or less dangerous than it was before, and it doesn't make the deceased any less of a climber. It was just plain ole bad luck. His story stands out because i have climbed most of my 14ers (34 including CA and WA summits) solo, including Snowmass. I sometimes worry about something bad happening to me out there (as does my mother and gf), but it's the risk I choose to take, knowing that adventure is what i live for. Looking at Sean's photos of his various exploits in the wild, most of which as far as I can tell were taken on solo outings, breaks my heart. At least he passed away doing what he loved in a place that he loved.
Rest in Peace brother!
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Monster5 wrote:There were a number of 14ers members by his side throughout it all, as well as a very helpful group from Aspen. Of course, the SAR team performed excellently. It is good to know that if something happens, we are part of a community, beyond any number of website or national affiliations, willing to go to great lengths in order to help a fellow climber out. I hope that summit fever, personal fears, or agendas never change your willingness and ability to lend a hand when a life is at stake.

Very well said. +1 for sure. Sad for sure, peace and strength to the surviving family and friends.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
charlie_ice
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by charlie_ice »

Sad to read this, my hearts go out to his friends and family. It's great he took so many pictures and shared his experienced with the world.
Glad he got the summit.
If I go out, this is how I want it to be done... doing what you love and being out in nature.
Run for your dreams, life is short! If I get Snowmass someday I will do a toast in his honor.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to Sean’s family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

RIP, what a tragedy.
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
Flux
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flux »

Nothing to learn and everything to learn.

I just finished reading One Mountain Thousand Summits and the thing that rang true throughout the whole book was that unexpected things can happen in the mountains. You look at the risk and you deal with it mentally. They are big crumbling piles of rock covered in snow that is doing much the same. I stated to a friend while we were descending Agassiz (CA) a couple weeks back while we were chatting about how precarious all these huge rocks are piled up all over and I said "until an earthquake hits". He quickly shushed me and we kept making our way down. Thus is the precarious nature of these piles of rock.

But I am deeply saddened to read this. A young guy with so many accomplishments and big dreams of hitting Alaska. I am certain he would have gotten there.

RIP Sean.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

charlie_ice wrote:Sad to read this, my hearts go out to his friends and family. It's great he took so many pictures and shared his experienced with the world.
Glad he got the summit.
If I go out, this is how I want it to be done... doing what you love and being out in nature.
Run for your dreams, life is short! If I get Snowmass someday I will do a toast in his honor.
Sorry, but I don't buy this movie-script sort of "epic way to die" that so many people want to believe would be their preferred way to go, if they could control the way the accidentally die. That's why it's an accident, and I doubt there was a feeling of nobleness for Sean.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus