Spanish Creek Beta

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summitridge
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (7)

Spanish Creek Beta

Post by summitridge »

I am considering heading up Spanish Creek to climb Kit Carson, Challenger, and Humboldt. Does anyone have info about the quality of this trail, camping near treeline, and access to water. Thinking of camping near treeline the night before the climb. Any help would be appreciated.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Spanish Creek Beta

Post by kaiman »

FYI, there are private property issues going on with both the Spanish Creek and Cottonwood Creek Trail access points to the Crestone group. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think you have get permission to cross private property from the landowners near the start of the trails. Your other option is Willow Creek/Lake.

Just so you know....

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

See this thread regarding access to Cottonwood Creek http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 80#p363037. Apparently access issues have been resolved. Can't speak to Spanish Creek access issues, but Moore's guide to the Sangres does a good job of describing the trails up virtually all the drainages in the Sangres.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Spanish Creek starts on private property. The trail is rough, has some bushwhacking, and has several creek crossings, one of which is a wade knee deep. Spanish Creek is primarily used as an approach for The Prow on Kit Carson. If you are not doing The Prow, Cottonwood Creek would be better. If you really need information on how to get permission, PM me.
summitridge
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (7)

Post by summitridge »

Thanks all. After hearing of the complications, I am thinking Willow Lake would be prudent.
CincyBearcats
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (7)

Post by CincyBearcats »

Does anyone have recent beta regarding the mosquitos along the Spanish Creek approach? My wife and I are heading up there Saturday to attempt the Prow, assuming we won't get eaten alive. Thanks!
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

I did Spanish Creek in late June a couple of years ago. Take 100% deet just in case. It was the most rediculous swarm of mosquitos imaginable. Bring a scarf to put over your mouth too unless you want them for lunch.
timstich
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timstich »

I've done the Spanish Creek approach once. You start out hiking in just below the Buddhist Monestary on the left side of the creek and quickly cross over to the right. You pass some structures and go down a road a short bit and it turns into a path. It's easy to follow for a while and then you cross the creek back to the left side. At one point the trail goes up hill and goes backwards in a switchback for about 50 feet then turns right again. If you loose the trail at any point, backtrack until you find it again. It works better than bushwhacking.

Later the trees thin out and you approach the blowdown area. At this point cairns mark very well the best path through the hundreds of blown down, dead trees. You can clearly see Kit Carson in this area. It's a bit tedious, but I found it more interesting as far as scenery is concerned than the thicker, earlier part of the trail. Route finding after the blowdown area is not difficult as the trees thin out and most of the topography is clearly visible.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I have heard the mosquitoes are mostly gone for the year.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

summitridge: I found the Spanish Creek approach fun and challenging. The "trail" fizzles out periodically and is sometimes tough to follow. The mosquitoes can be fierce. And you may end up bushwacking a bit. But the valley is gorgeous, and there is a fine campsite just below the head of the basin in a stand of trees on the south side of Spanish Creek. The Prow is an awesome and majestic formation well worth the hike. Here's a photo of my climbing buddy (who, unlike me, hated the hike) backpacking through the blown-down portion of the hike, which he termed "Toothpick World."
Savor the splendor of Spanish Creek!
Attachments
Hiking through Toothpick World during Spanish Creek approach on Kit Carson.jpg
Hiking through Toothpick World during Spanish Creek approach on Kit Carson.jpg (96.53 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
CincyBearcats
Trip Reports (7)

Post by CincyBearcats »

jdorje wrote:I have heard the mosquitoes are mostly gone for the year.
Thanks! I read a similar report on MountainProject and was hoping to get another report to back it up (assuming that's not where you got your beta, hehe). After hearing everyone else's horror stories, I'm really hoping we can hit it with minimal mosquito feasting.
CincyBearcats
Trip Reports (7)

Post by CincyBearcats »

BUMP

Anyone else know about the mosquitos (in the last few weeks, that is)?