Has anyone ever......

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Has anyone ever......

Post by herdbull »

climbed/hiked Windom, Sunlight, Mt. Eolus & North Eolus in one trip? Just wondering how doable this is in one day. I'm thinking the weather would really have to cooperate and not brew up any mid day storms. Also, I see leaving the car by 3:00-3:30 a.m. but I still don't think that will help much with a mid day storm

I kinda cruised through the trip reports and didn't see much. If someone has done one please pass it along.

Thanks.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Has anyone ever......

Post by dpage »

I was planning on taking the train to the TH. I thought the approaches from cars involved LONG backpacking.
BAUMGARA
14ers: 58  6  5 
13ers: 22 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BAUMGARA »

So no choo choo train? Parking at Purgatory? People have done the 4 in one day but you have to camp.
This is the best example I recall seeing.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

I was always impressed with this TR:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

All four 14ers in the Chi Basin have been done from the Purgatory TH in 14 hrs RT.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

JA_son27 wrote:I was always impressed with this TR:

:shock: That's ironman. Ridiculous.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Try the Chicago Basin Challenge...

Start and end in Denver (you have to climb the peaks as well :D )...you have 24 hours
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

BAUMGARA wrote:So no choo choo train? Parking at Purgatory? People have done the 4 in one day but you have to camp.
This is the best example I recall seeing.
That was a fun trip.

JA_son27 wrote:I was always impressed with this TR:

Me too. Inspirational.

herdbull wrote:climbed/hiked Windom, Sunlight, Mt. Eolus & North Eolus in one trip? Just wondering how doable this is in one day. I'm thinking the weather would really have to cooperate and not brew up any mid day storms. Also, I see leaving the car by 3:00-3:30 a.m. but I still don't think that will help much with a mid day storm

I kinda cruised through the trip reports and didn't see much. If someone has done one please pass it along.

Thanks.

Sounds like you're interested in a daytrip from the car. If you are in very good shape and capable of a very long day, I think it's quite doable in under 24 hours.

It might be more enjoyable to bring some lightweight bivy gear, get in and get some sleep, then do all four in a day and out. Mostly because, unless you live near there, you'll likely get to the parking lot in the afternoon. Nothing much else to do with the rest of the day, and why sleep in the car when it's more fun to sleep in the basin?

But if you plan to arrive at night and sleep in the car, a 3am start should reasonably get you all four and back to the car by Midnight, if you're fit... but the overnight thing allows you to get back to the car a little sooner, which is handy if you're planning to drive back that night. Otherwise it's two nights in the car, and no nights in that beautiful wilderness.... Which is partly why at least one night is recommended in the Basin even for those getting all four in a day. Too nice to pass up.

But the short answer to your question is yes, and you don't have to be an elite athlete or anything.
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

Aww poop. My bad. In my over excitement of putting together my upcoming trip I blew right past the train ride part - lol. Hence the thinking that the Chi basin approach was the "start" and then the climbing.

I do see a couple options here though. I'm not opposed to leaving for a long trek at any time of day. Pending an over night storm, minimal sleep could be found anywhere along the trail. Just pull up a log and close your eyes. Get up, eat a little something and continue on. This whole 2 1/2 weeks is just planned around hiking, climbing & taking in new sights. I'm coming out solo and will be car camping so there really isn't an agenda and no one else to have to run things by.

One of the things I learned last summer is that I found myself with entire afternoons of nothing. Up early and back to the car (truck) by late morning. I kept thinking I should just drive to the next mtn and start hiking instead of waiting for the next morning. I could do that with this longer day trip.

I do have all the bivy gear so that is an option as well. It would be sort of a mini adventure in the middle of the bigger adventure. A choo choo ride would be kinda neat :) too. I've never been on a real train. I think I'll throw these 4 on the list and plan a 2 day window for them. Thanks for the thoughts and TR's everyone.