Current conditions Mt.Democrat

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
michael_b
Trip Reports (0)

Current conditions Mt.Democrat

Post by michael_b »

Hi there!

I'm thinking about skiing the north face of Mt.Democrat this weekend. Has anybody some info about recent or current conditions?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
dfrizzle
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Current conditions Mt.Democrat

Post by dfrizzle »

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.
michael_b
Trip Reports (0)

Post by michael_b »

Thanks a lot - looks better than expected!
michael_b
Trip Reports (0)

Post by michael_b »

Then I discovered all these threads about restricted access to Mt. Democrat and so on ....

It is not really clear to me if the access via the north face is possible now in winter? E.g. I found a trip report of 2009, another thread states that the southern summer access has been reopened in 2007. Please forgive me if this has been answered in other threads already - I'm new to the US and not very familiar with land owner rights by now.

Thank you a lot!
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

We were in the basin this past weekend. Had no issue with access - started from Montgomery Reservoir TH.

My full TR is here
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Democrat North Face.jpg
Democrat North Face.jpg (76.16 KiB) Viewed 836 times
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

Are snow shoes required for Democrat right now?
godsnthemtns
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by godsnthemtns »

Just got off democrat 4 hrs ago. Didn't use my snow shoes although there were spots you could of, I just couldn't be bothered to put em on : )
Mostly tho if you stick by the rocks you'll be fine!
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

godsnthemtns wrote:Just got off democrat 4 hrs ago. Didn't use my snow shoes although there were spots you could of, I just couldn't be bothered to put em on : )
Mostly tho if you stick by the rocks you'll be fine!
What route did you climb it from?
Pinkiron
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Pinkiron »

Thx for posting this! Hoping to do this on Wed. OP- let me know if you actually got up this past weekend and what it was like. If I get up Wed I promise to do a trip report on it! I am new to 14ers.com, but have lived and hiked here for a decade. I have a place in Fairplay so I will try to ask around about the land status of the mosquito range peaks.
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

Do you think the SE bowl of Democrat will have enough snow to be climbable/skiable in early June?
Thanks