Bross Solution: New Summit?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Good Idea (see first post, below)?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 136
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Bross Solution: New Summit?

Post by MountainHiker »

live4pc wrote:It is this simple. NO TRESPASSING means just that but, everyone is free to ask though. Call/knock on a door - can not be more simple than that. Apparently some egos just can not handle such things.
Next time I climb Bross, I’ll call out: “Anyone mind if I walk over to that high point? I don’t see a door to knock on! No fence, no gate, no POSTED sign! No one minds? Okay! I’ll be sure to leave it as I left it! Thanks! Later!” :lol:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

live4pc wrote:Just hike to the "new summit" instead, tresspassers make it worse for everyone else for what? childish rebellious behavor?

I dont get it, what is the appeal of trespassing?

Getting to the actual summit...

It's also very difficult to tell what is private property and what isn't up there.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

DeucesWild wrote:
djkest wrote:That's a gross exageration of castle doctrine or "make my day" laws.
No, it's not.

If a teenager, sneaking into a neighbor's backyard to skinnydip in the pool, acting furtive because he's sneaking to skinnydip, surprises the property owner who cannot identify him (because it's dark), he can then legally be shot under those laws if the landowner contends he was fearful for this life. Not only does he have the right to do so but in some states he cannot even be prosecuted for doing it because the law makes the landowner immune from criminal prosecution. Instead of backing off and calling the police he can shoot first and ask questions later. Bottom line, scare someone on their property, and they can shoot your ass and be immune from any criminal liability.

It's a great law. Deuce has been watchin the news...

As to your question about "what if it were my pool", and they made a mess? You're right. They might have pissed in the pool. Shoot them.
On the flipsaid, said trespasser drowns in your pool, his family could hold you liable for that (this has happened before).

And since this discussion is trending "off route", I think it's important to get back on track. What kind of fines/fees do these mining claims cost to maintain? They don't necessarily own the land, they have sole posession of the right to the minerals on the land, right? Does mining law also that that tresspassing is forbidden for *any* reason?
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

djkest wrote:And since this discussion is trending "off route", I think it's important to get back on track. What kind of fines/fees do these mining claims cost to maintain? They don't necessarily own the land, they have sole posession of the right to the minerals on the land, right? Does mining law also that that tresspassing is forbidden for *any* reason?
We've been down this road many times; These are patented mining claims meaning title has been transferred from the federal gov't to the property owner (prob'ly a long time ago). They OWN the land for whatever purposes they choose.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Thread locked to keep it from ending up in Off Route
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs