Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado Couloir Conditions

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Colorado Couloir Conditions

Postby jmc5040 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 pm

PolishPete wrote:Wanted to bump this thread. Coming out from Chicago on Thursday, and wanted to climb a couloir. Anybody have very recent info on the "Fridge" on Ice, or possibly any good beta/recent conditions from this past weekend on any couloirs? If so, please post up!!

See my TR on Fletcher Mountain. We skied the couloir ~100 below the summit, but there are additional routes.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11976
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby PolishPete » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:20 pm

jmc5040 wrote:
PolishPete wrote:Wanted to bump this thread. Coming out from Chicago on Thursday, and wanted to climb a couloir. Anybody have very recent info on the "Fridge" on Ice, or possibly any good beta/recent conditions from this past weekend on any couloirs? If so, please post up!!

See my TR on Fletcher Mountain. We skied the couloir ~100 below the summit, but there are additional routes.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11976

Fletcher Mtn was on my list to look at. Thanks for posting.

Also, which couloir is it you ski'd?
Last edited by PolishPete on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Lost Rat on Gray's (this last Saturday, 6/9) was in better condition than I thought it would be, only maybe top 80 vertical feet or so was melted out, but nice laid-back talus/scree by that point so easy to the top from there. And the consistency for most of the route was decent, a tad post-holy near the top of the snow. Some pals of mine climbed south paw (torreys) yesterday, haven't heard back yet but it looked in decent shape as we passed by it saturday. S. Paw is still corniced on the right side, not bad looking on the left side. Hit these early; we hit lost rat at 7:30-ish, a tad late IMHO, 6:30 would have been better. Dead Dog is looking pretty skinny, still would climb well though.

Postby PolishPete » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Anybody been around Dragon's Tail recently?

Postby skimrg81 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:10 am

Has anyone been up the North Couloir on Pacific Peak in the past week or so? Looking for a condition report. Curious if it is snow all the way up or if there is some ice present. Thanks

Postby clemsonmtneer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:28 am

PolishPete wrote:Anybody been around Dragon's Tail recently?

I was up in Tyndall Gorge last weekend and Dragon's Tail is no longer in. Also witnessed a pretty nasty rock slide down the couloir.

Postby jeffskio » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:06 am

I climbed pacific june 1st and the north couloir looked doable then but starting to get thin and icy up top. Here is a picture from that day.
Attachments
2012-05-31 11.39.19.jpg
2012-05-31 11.39.19.jpg (260.68 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Postby PolishPete » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 pm

clemsonmtneer wrote:
PolishPete wrote:Anybody been around Dragon's Tail recently?

I was up in Tyndall Gorge last weekend and Dragon's Tail is no longer in. Also witnessed a pretty nasty rock slide down the couloir.

Thanks for the info.

Postby ap snow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Better late than never... The Luttrell line was great, however, it never softened up so the descent was extremely icy. I would think this is the best way up Diente in snow conditions.
http://youtu.be/XVDfCGtC9_w

Postby PolishPete » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Ice Mountain / Refrigerator Couloir is done for the season. The snow that's left up there is just terrible.

The chimney used to access the apron of the mountain collapsed while I was climbing it. Thank God I was alright, crawled out of the hole, and we made our way up the rock face just to the right of the chimney.

Avoided the snow by boulder hoping across and up high, hoping the snow got better up there. Finally trudged our way through the snow to the base of the couloir. No way to go up under those conditions. Waste deep at some points, and the snow held no weight...simply sunk in to the slush.

Postby martinleroux » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 am

It's not dead yet... as of Sun Jun 24 the Refrigerator Couloir (Ice Mountain) was still climbable, but only just. We must have used a different approach than PolishPete, we didn't go anywhere near "a chimney used to access the apron of the mountain". We had nice styrofoam snow most of the way (it helped that we started early). But there was a section half-way up that was down to a narrow strip of bare ice, with a short stretch of loose rubble and easy rock. With this week's warm weather the whole couloir will be a rubble chute before too long.

Postby ash-ish » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:53 am

How are the Couloirs looking this year? since this seems to be a dry year, is it possible couloirs will be packed and safe to climb earlier than usual? Thinking of making a trip to colorado in April. I need info to plan my co trips this year... i am from houston. Any info will be appreciated.

PreviousNext