Camera Suggestions

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Camera Suggestions

Post by dehrlich101 »

I am in the market for a new Camera. I'd like to get a point and shoot, with excellent image quality (14+ megapixels), low light settings, panorama mode, and will be tough enough to take anywhere but in the water.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Camera Suggestions

Post by oldschoolczar »

I just picked up a Canon ELPH 300 HS. It is an awesome camera. It's only 12MP but Canon is known for taking really high quality pictures. My girlfriend says the images are nicer than her 16MP Panasonic. And as you probably know there's much more to picture quality than megapixels!

This camera lists for $229, but I believe it's been discontinued. Best Buy is having an awesome sale at $129... really can't beat the value you get at that price. On Amazon it's like $169. But hurry because I got the last one at a Best Buy after visiting 2 different stores.

Only thing is it may not be as sturdy as some of the other options out there, but it's VERY small and slim..
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

MP is a worthless measure of the quality of a camera.

I'm in the market for a replacement for my dead P&S, one of the higher end Canons might be calling my name. The burly ones just don't seem to have the IQ yet.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I've been using the Canon "travel" cameras since they have high optical zooms that are great for wildlife photos, plus they are compact so I can just put them in my pocket. My SX260 has 20x optical zoom and I've taken some good pictures with it.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

As said before, the megapixel count has nothing to do with the quality. You can just ignore it these days.

Your highest quality (and one of the more expensive) options would be the Canon S100. The Canon SX260 would be a cheaper option as mentioned above. Panasonic has the SZ7 and SZ1 which are similar to the SX260.

All this really depends a lot on how much you want to spend. Start with that and then find the best option in that price range.
climbing_rob
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

I'll go even further beyond the fact that the MP count is useless to judge the image quality by saying that Mucho-MP can actually these days degrade the image by creating too much noise. The smaller the actual pixels (when pixel count goes up, their size has to go down for the same size sensor), the more noise they create. There is a sweet spot for any given sensor size, and for a typical P&S, this is probably in the neighborhood of 10-12MP. Any more and you're just generating noise. The average consumer has no idea about such things, so they just go for pixel count, and of course the camera manufacturers know this and keep pushing the MP up for strictly marketing reasons. So go for a larger sensor size and lens quality. Lots of choices, these days; they make APS-C size sensor cameras (huge size sensor compared average P&S) in small bodies for not a ton of cash, like the Sony NEX-C3 as an example.
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

oldschoolczar wrote:I just picked up a Canon ELPH 300 HS...Best Buy is having an awesome sale at $129... really can't beat the value you get at that price.
I believe this sale is officially over, as I was not able to find one for this price at any Best Buys. Office Depot is selling the ELPH 100 HS for $109 right now, I just picked one up last night. The 100 HS is 30% cheaper and is more or less the exact same camera as the 300 HS (300 HS has a wider angle lens and a slightly higher max shutter speed). From what I have read and heard they are both great cameras.
ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ATOMEMT »

+1 for the Canon Elph 300 HS. Small enough to carry in most pockets. Good image quality.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Yep, the megapixel count is not what makes a digital camera good, it is the sensor, as others have already stated. I love the Canon Powershot S-series.
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/ ... rshot_s100
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
prestone818
Trip Reports (0)

Post by prestone818 »

s100 is a good option.
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Back in the market again! Posted in March or so about what to look for in a camera and ended up getting the ELPH 310. The lens cover stopped opening all the way on power up and would not shut all the way on power down. Best Buy just warrantied it out and so now I am looking again. They do not carry the 310 any longer.

So, Tory advised the "S" series before and I still like them but the $ tag is just a bit much for me (still). It is still beyond me yet to know what the real difference is between the Canon "A" and "ELPH" series. Tory? BB is telling me the closest thing to the ELPH 310 is the A4000. With the store credit, I am shopping Best Buy. Does anyone know anything about the "tough" cameras like : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Olympus+-+T ... Id=4983194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? Still leaning towards several mentioned above but thought I'd see about these.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I've heard good stuff about the Canon Powershot line... and a few others... I'd consult http://www.snapsort.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;