Emergency - Kevin8020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to Kevin’s family and friends. I’ll be thinking of Kevin and Travis when I climb this weekend.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Emergency - Kevin8020 - Miss you Kevin!

Post by greenwok »

Miss you Kevin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUjL6bVD2vw
KH Little Bear 061510.jpg
KH Little Bear 061510.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 6821 times
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Thanks Kent for posting this song. I've heard it before but never paid any attention to the lyrics.

Yeah....I was thinking of Kevin yesterday on South Little Bear.
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

Remembering Kevin - coming up on 2 years. "Onwards"
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Was on Little Bear Friday 6/8, Kevin was on my mind.
Cannot look at the hourglass without remembering him.
Thinking of Travis, Kevin's family & friends... [-o< R.I.P.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Second anniversary. RIP, Kevin.
boleslav
Trip Reports (0)

Post by boleslav »

i, too, just thought of Kevin, such a loss.
I wonder if the memory card from his camera was ever found and passed on to his family
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Thanks Terry for your post. Yes...it was 2 years ago on June 15th that Kevin Hayne passed away on Little Bear.

Remembering and praying for his Dad-Lynn, Mom-Beth, and sister-Alyssa today. May God carry each of you through this day of remembrance.

And let this be a reminder to each of us in this climbing community that we live in mortal bodies and that we too can pass. Climb safely! And as Kevin would say often say...."ONWARDS."

He got that word out of the Apostle Paul's letter to the Philippians. (Chapter 3.)

13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Last edited by globreal on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Boomerang
14ers: 16  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Boomerang »

So hard to believe it has been two years today. For as our minds fade with age, some memories just never will, and this day for our two families is unforgettable....

To my son, Travis, who has redirected his life goals and matured so quickly beyond his years, much as a result of what happened this day two years ago. I will continue to miss you this summer, as I'd give anything to be hiking by your side, but your focus and attention to serve our country truly makes me so proud! I look forward to your return, and maybe we'll be able to get a hike or two in at the end of the season.

To the Hayne family, your son brought so many things to so many people. A love for the mountains for Travis and I, as well as countless others. A friendship between our two families that will never fade. And most importantly a belief in God that could not, and can not be denied.

To Kevin, we Love You, and though you are missed terribly by so many I know you're watching over us from above....almost every weekend this summer I plan to hike up and visit you (from 14k something feet), please watch over me and the rest of our 14-er family...ONWARD!
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

Thank You Kevin Hayne!
I made it Kevin! One away from finishing the 14s. I am so glad I got to meet you along the way.
Looking back at the memories I have from these mountains, I think of you.
Our winter summit of Humboldt, a mile from the bottom,whoop ass tired you looked up at me and told me I was a beast. I was 53 and you made me smile.
I didn't tell you, but all I was doing was trying to survive and keep up with you!
You are an amazing young man! God took you to soon. I know he needed you for more important things.
We will be thinking of you next weekend from the summit, Longs Peak.

You inspired me,
John
Boomerang
14ers: 16  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Boomerang »

Kevin,

I'm sorry I didn't write to you sooner. I meant to, really I did. I'm writing to you today to tell you how jealous we all are of you on this day, the 24th of June, 2013. Though it came, yet again way too soon for one of God's stewards, your friend, mentor, and climbing bud, Steve has left us here on earth to join you amongst the heavens. I am sorry to inform you though, he isn't bringing Cooper along just yet, perhaps you've already met up with a trusty companion that Steve will appreciate. I know I've asked this of you before, but if you would pass along to Steve as well, we'd really appreciate you both now looking over all of us as we reach for the summits. Help us to put our footing in the right spots, make sure we don't grab that loose handhold, and most especially give us the strength to reach the summit, and to finish the back half safely. Also, if you would tell Steve I'm making it my new ritual to have a Snicker's bar on every summit! We all love and miss you! ONWARD!