dog friendly

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

dog friendly

Post by davebks »

Hi there,
Since my last post I got a new pup! I am super excited. We have already hiked a ton since April and he loves it. He is 9 months, australian shepherd.
I skinned up at Marshall Mesa when we had that big last storm, then skiied down and he had a blast.

With a dog that opens up some new doors for me since I have always been a solo (or with friends) hiker/climber.
What are some good peaks to do with a dog?? skin and ski, or just hike up and down.
Anything good right now? I am thinking in the next week or two especially since the snow has settled a bit.

I live in the boulder area so anything within a few hours is great.
Thanks!!!
Last edited by davebks on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
climbingbiz
14ers: 58  12 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: dog friendly skiing and climbing

Post by climbingbiz »

I've taken my dog along on most of my class 1 or 2 climbs ( he has 18 14er Summits.) As far as I know they're allowed on every peak with the exception of Longs. La Plata was a fun peak with mild conditions and would be a good start.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

James Peak is always a good one (if there's enough snow).

Please be careful because:

Young pups want to run with you when you ski, sometimes they veer in front of you all the sudden. Ski edges are very sharp and the skin on dogs legs is very tender.

Emergency vet visits cost close to $1000 and driving 2 hours back to town with your dog's leg gushing blood is incredibly stressful.
Poor puppy dog
Poor puppy dog
as.jpg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 4491 times
Make wilderness less accessible.
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

oh man, so sorry about your pup!!! That is rough. Glad he's ok though!!!! :(
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Revisiting this one...
I am thinking about taking Jax up a peak this weekend.
Greys perhaps. Its his first big peak but weve been hiking a ton.

thoughts on which to go to? i wont take him over class 1 or 2 and my thought is off leash at the base but once we get up near ridges, keep him on leash.
greys, torreys, sherman?? any of those good for the pup?

no bierstadt. I wont go up there again, its a freaking zoo.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

davebks wrote:Revisiting this one...
I am thinking about taking Jax up a peak this weekend.
Greys perhaps. Its his first big peak but weve been hiking a ton.

thoughts on which to go to? i wont take him over class 1 or 2 and my thought is off leash at the base but once we get up near ridges, keep him on leash.
greys, torreys, sherman?? any of those good for the pup?

no bierstadt. I wont go up there again, its a freaking zoo.
Grays and Torreys won't be much better, I'm guessing. I recall those hikes (especially Grays) as "zoos." Sherman might be busy too, but possibly less crowded. I took a dog up a few years ago without an issue. There's a ridge area that might be an issue (gets kind of narrow) but sounds like you'll have Jax on-leash.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Re: dog friendly

Post by davebks »

Thanks for the info. I know Greys and Torreys gets nuts but I don't think anything is as nuts as Bierstadt.
That being said there are plenty of fun options out there and I don't really mind the crowds that much as long as we are up early before the masses set on their climbs.

I was thinking maybe Sherman, Lincoln, or something? I just need a peak with a solid trail and no real climbing or heavy scree since he's...well, a dog.

I would definitely leash when we get near some ridges and stuff although he's an aussie and rarely leaves my side. Still better safe than sorry though....
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

We went up Huron last weekend. It is pretty mellow hiking for a 14er, and there were probably 10 dogs on the mountain. Beautiful mountain and nice views, but there were a LOT of people. No quite a zoo, but maybe a county fair. :shock:
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

To be honest the only reason I am taking him up a 14er is because my girlfriend has never done one and really wants to do one this summer. Otherwise I'd find a lesser peak with less people.
I figure she needs a mellow one to start so it might work out great to take both of them on their first together!
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

Here's a dog-related trip report from the Dogs on Holy Cross thread: :

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I'll once again ask the question I ask in all of these dog threads: Are you able and willing to carry your dog back to the car if the dog gets sick or injured?
davebks
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

answer is yes, and another reason I am picking an easier shorter 14er.
LupinMorningwake
14ers: 18 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LupinMorningwake »

Your pup should have no problem on Sherman or Lincoln (just make sure that you're watching his pads). My boys really enjoyed Massive.