Dogs on Class 3

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Dogs on Class 3

Post by Greenhouseguy »

I'll reserve my opinion, but I thought that it might be useful to compile some information for people who are considering taking their dogs into the rougher terrain:

Shepherd on Sawtooth

Dogs on Quandary's West Ridge

Last but not least:

The Saga of Dexter
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Dogs on Class 3

Post by screeman57 »

seems that people have had enough, for the time being, of dog-related posts...
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

Greenhouseguy wrote:I'll reserve my opinion, but I thought that it might be useful to compile some information for people who are considering taking their dogs into the rougher terrain:

Shepherd on Sawtooth

Dogs on Quandary's West Ridge

Last but not least:

The Saga of Dexter

I put my great dane on top of Wetterhorn last year. isnt that why they make dog harnesses? short rope and some claws were a diggin in on the decent. i think we are going to take her on the north bell on labor day as well. its all bout the owner not the dog. dogs will follow their owners to death if that is where they are led
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

blazebo wrote:dogs will follow their owners to death if that is where they are led
No kidding and that is what makes some of these stories so terribly sad. Owners that perceive the dog loving life and enjoying something where the reality is they are simply happy to fufill the OWNERS wishes.
DeucesWild
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

blazebo wrote:I put my great dane on top of Wetterhorn last year. isnt that why they make dog harnesses? short rope and some claws were a diggin in on the decent. i think we are going to take her on the north bell on labor day as well.
Boy, I'm really bummed that I can't climb the North Bell with your great dane. I can't imagine anything more cool than that.

There's just nothing more exciting than whistling rocks. :roll:
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
blazebo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

DeucesWild wrote:
blazebo wrote:I put my great dane on top of Wetterhorn last year. isnt that why they make dog harnesses? short rope and some claws were a diggin in on the decent. i think we are going to take her on the north bell on labor day as well.
Boy, I'm really bummed that I can't climb the North Bell with your great dane. I can't imagine anything more cool than that.

better than whistling New yorkers...
DeucesWild
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

blazebo wrote:
DeucesWild wrote:

better than whistling New yorkers...
I thought you were a dolt, but now I know you're an ass as well.

As all on here know, I'm fine with an off-color joke, but that comment, shithead, brands you as the scum you are.
Last edited by DeucesWild on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
blazebo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

I thought you were a dolt, but now I know you're an ass as well.[/quote]
winner winner chicken dinner
=D>
gearhunter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gearhunter »

I personally believe that we need to support laws that would make it illegal to take a dog on anything more than Class 1 terrain.

And perhaps in conjunction outlaw people from taking dogs above treeline period.

I say this only out of love for animals. They are just as happy hiking at 7000 feet as they are 13000 feet.
rainydayrenee
14ers: 43  1  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rainydayrenee »

screeman57 wrote:seems that people have had enough, for the time being, of dog-related posts...
+1
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

gearhunter wrote:I personally believe that we need to support laws that would make it illegal to take a dog on anything more than Class 1 terrain.
You do know you live in the land of the free and the home of the brave right?

Do you really think what we need is a LAW against this? C'mon man where's your independent American spirit!?

Live and let live! I have no desire to take a dog up N Maroon, but I have no problem with someone else doing it...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

oldschoolczar wrote:
Do you really think what we need is a LAW against this? C'mon man where's your independent American spirit!?
"independent American spirit"= petulant teenager spirit ("don't tell me what to do!")
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.