The 14ers.com dogs

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

The 14ers.com dogs

Post by dehrlich101 »

I recently saw the book The BrewDogs of Colorado at Trinity Brewing in the Springs, and thought this would be an interesting topic. In light of the rescue of "Missy" the German Shepard from the Sawtooth, please post pictures of your 14er dogs/or other animals enjoying the mountains.

This is Ranger. He is a 3 year old Red Heeler, adopted from the New Hope Cattle Dog Rescue. He has accompanied me on 16 of the fourteeners, with the most recent being Mount Massive and South Massive.

Ranger with Mount Massive
Ranger with Mount Massive
photo.JPG (135.31 KiB) Viewed 11415 times
Last edited by dehrlich101 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
klinger
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The 14er.com dogs of Colorado

Post by klinger »

Chloe is a German Shorthaired Pointer and has about 12 or so 14ers, I try not to take her on class 2's that have really big rocks, as she has never had any awareness of her back end and climbs and swims like a complete idiot. She will run up and down stairs forever though.

Mike's Belgian Malanois, Cole, can climb anything, he's a badass, and he swims like a fricken boat. You throw stick/ball as far as you can and that boy just motors.

On theirs and my first, Pikes last summer..

We've done G&T twice now, which as you can see by her expression is sheer torture...

ATOMEMT
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: The 14er.com dogs

Post by ATOMEMT »

Sage found me at the Denver Dumb Friends League shelter eight years ago this Fall. She's 10 now, with 30 14'ers under her belt.....still going strong.
Attachments
SAGE UNCOMPAHGRE PEAK 6.5.jpg
SAGE UNCOMPAHGRE PEAK 6.5.jpg (332.87 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

My boys Little mac (with the backpack on) & Teddy on crystal this spring. Little mac has done 13 14ers & 11 13ers and Teddy has done 1 14er & 6 13ers.
Attachments
me, little mac & teddy with pacific in the back 2 small.jpg
me, little mac & teddy with pacific in the back 2 small.jpg (193.71 KiB) Viewed 11313 times
wolfshadoww
14ers: 11 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wolfshadoww »

Osgood, "Ozzie" has done five mountains this summer. The shoes get a lot of trail comments, but also cut down on his pads getting torn up.
Attachments
Mt. Bierstadt
Mt. Bierstadt
majestic.jpg (151.04 KiB) Viewed 11253 times
“The mountains are calling and I must go.”
― John Muir

“It's a tough lesson: There is no summit that comes before you expect it.”
― Mark Obmascik

"Climbing is as close as we can come to flying."
-- Margaret Young
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

I like this thread better than the other current dog thread. It feels like an awkward awful episode of Punk'd.
I love all the other dog pics here!

Here's Lexy on her 1st 14er Quandary. Her feet were a little chilly. I'll think we'll take some booties next time we go out in the snow.

And the avatar.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Dogs are awesome!

Ski touring near Lake Agnes

Indian Peaks Wilderness

Best crag dog ever

This is Ruby by the way, we thing she's a black lab border collie mix. She was on a kill list in Missouri until Rocky Mountain Lab Rescue found her a foster home in Boulder. When we got her, she was malnourished and had been treated for mange.
Last edited by Dave B on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

This is Rufus. He was a mixed breed puppy rescue, just turned 2 years old last week.

To date, he has joined me on a total of 53 different summits. We plan on many more.

Rufster on Geneva
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The 14er.com dogs of Colorado

Post by ThuChad »

klinger wrote:Chloe is a German Shorthaired Pointer and has about 12 or so 14ers, I try not to take her on class 2's that have really big rocks, as she has never had any awareness of her back end and climbs and swims like a complete idiot. She will run up and down stairs forever though.
That's hilarious. I had a GSP growing up that swam the same way. She would try to touch the bottom with her back feet and thrash the water with her front. Pretty odd for dogs with webbed feet.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Lindsey was supposed to be my ski partner but bad shoulders keep her below treeline. She loves snow more than anything!
PC210010a.jpg
PC210010a.jpg (442.74 KiB) Viewed 11176 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
LuLuLuv
14ers: 58 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (1)

Post by LuLuLuv »

The Lu has done 28 14ers!
Attachments
proud LuLu.jpg
proud LuLu.jpg (168.52 KiB) Viewed 9792 times
harrise
14ers: 12 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (4)

Post by harrise »

I'm loving these pictures!

My boy Ridik. He's the scrambler of my bunch. His previous owners dropped him off one day and never came back. On Hagar...

I have five dogs so we rarely get on 14ers unless it's from a route like Chihuahua Gulch. We've really taken to the 13ers and 12ers. Our group is big and we just get in the way on busy trails. With our other husky owning friends on the way up Bald Mtn A...

My malamutes (Coco, Sioux) and husky on Bard Peak. The mals don't like talus slogs and max out at simple class II...

4.8lbs of Tambi on Pawnee...

And the most recent addition. My first Saint was a wicked climber/hiker. He had a short but awesome life with us. So we decided that another was in order. 20 months old and 20 summits (10k-14k). On one of those mellow snow lines NW side of Mount Silverheels...