Which hikes are appropriate for dogs?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Which hikes are appropriate for dogs?

Post by gonzalj »

As others have said, class 1 and 2 is a good philosophy to go with. Also, in terms of your dogs conditioning, I know that I started my dog off with shorter/easier hikes at 1st and then eventually got him onto 14ers this year (so far he has done 8 with me). Now, I have done 2 hikes this year that are difficult class 2 terrain on sneffels and castle and did not take my dog with me and frankly speaking am very glad I didn't. There terrain was difficult with steep slopes and loose rock and if my dog was with me, he could have potentially had trouble with that terrain and/or potentially caused a dangerous rock slide that could have not only potentially threatened my dog, but also me and others on the trail. So that being said, I would emphasize being careful with class 2, as there's a range of easy to difficult class 2, so do your research and make sure the terrain is on the easier side.
jake miraldi
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jake miraldi »

I had a question specifically about the feasibility of taking my dog up the Keyhole route on Longs Peak. This would be our first Class 3 route and I worry looking at pictures that this might be a little too rocky for him. He and three year old yellow lab is in plenty good shape to do it (he usually ends up whining at me because I am going too slow) but I worry about the rocks being too much for him. Thoughts?
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

Dogs are prohibited from all of Rocky Mountain National Park.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

jake miraldi wrote:I had a question specifically about the feasibility of taking my dog up the Keyhole route on Longs Peak. This would be our first Class 3 route and I worry looking at pictures that this might be a little too rocky for him. He and three year old yellow lab is in plenty good shape to do it (he usually ends up whining at me because I am going too slow) but I worry about the rocks being too much for him. Thoughts?
Dogs are not allowed on trails or in the backcountry in RMNP.

http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/pets.htm
jake miraldi
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jake miraldi »

Fair enough! Sorry, still pretty new out here and still trying to learn all the rules and regulations out west. Thanks!
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I am a dog-lover. At one time I had 6 dogs. I now have a 12-year-old, 17 pound, Jack Russell/Beagle mix. She sometimes hikes with me, and has done up to 6 miles and 1,300' vertical. The only 14er "hike" I've taken her on is Mt. Evans (from the summit parking lot to the summit). My two thoughts are:

1. If your dog gets injured or falls ill while on the trail, are you able and willing to carry the dog back to the car?

2. Dogs should be leashed for their own safety. On the trail they can encounter poisonous snakes, bears, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, cactus, and numerous other hazards. A leash is no guarantee that they will avoid all hazards, but a leash will help you maintain control.
Doublediamond2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Doublediamond2002 »

My wife and I just took our 1 and a half year old Catahoula up Greys and Torreys for her first 14er, she has gone on some good hikes and gets a good walk 3-4 times a week. She kicked our butts up and down the mountain and even carried her own food and water. Upon reaching the summit of Torreys we ran into three other groups and five other dogs and it was like a little high mountain dog park, they all got along and it was a fun experience. Our friend also brought his dog (a smaller mix) and her paws got cut and we ended up carrying her down the last mile or so. Both my wife and our friend who joined us are vets and were able to treat her with Epsom salt when we got home, which worked very well.
mountain hula.JPG
mountain hula.JPG (107.19 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
RyanSchilling
14ers: 58 
13ers: 249
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyanSchilling »

This week, have you not picked up on the fact that BIERSTADT is the best place to take a dog? :mrgreen:
Valarie1
14ers: 46 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Valarie1 »

if you are going to hike with your dog, please buy them booties...you can get them at REI and worth every penny...I have gone through 2 pairs for my rotties that have climbed many 14 ers with me.....They are ruffwear brand with vibram soles...(sorry if that is misspelled) too many dogs with cuts on their feets, it's sad....
Jerlane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jerlane »

I just got these booties earlier this summer for our trip to Colorado and I really liked them. We tried the ruffwear booties first and I felt like these were easier to secure with the two straps instead of one and I also like the padding around the cuff. They seemed to stay on more securely than the ruffwear pads. I also like this website. Good prices and very good customer service. We were able to return the ruffwear booties very easily.

One tip I would give is to practice with them before taking them on trail. I started by putting them on his front paws only and then playing fetch. Our lab is crazy for the tennis ball, so he was hardly aware that he had them on. It took a little more time to get used to his rear booties, but he did really well with them when hiking. Good luck!

http://www.backcountryk9.com/307/0/Products.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Our pups are always losing booties, with 5 dogs and we're out a lot we buy the cheaper dog sledding variety of boots. Adanac Sleds & Equipment is one of many places you can find them. They don't last as long as some of the fancier booties but I haven't found any bootie that lasts us through a season anyhow so we stick with the cheapies and just buy a lot.

http://stores.adanacsleds.com/-strse-Do ... gories.bok
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
lben
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by lben »

Most of the level 1 and 2 hikes are the best. My 10 year old kelpi has been hiking with me since he was a pup. He does the 14ers with no problem and his paws are used to the rocks that he does not need the booties. Though I did stop taking him on winter hikes as the wind is too much for his short hair and big ears.
Some people I have seen use sunblock on the dogs nose.
Just be aware of your dog if you sense he is in pain no need to punish him just so you can make it to the the top. Bring the dog back healthy. Also I always have my dogs on a leash, he almost jumped off a cliff chasing the little animals up there!
I hate it when people have their dogs off the leash as other people and other dogs do not like them!! It gets a little tricky in crowded areas.