Crestones Accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Crestones Accident

Post by CO Native »

El Paso County crews help search for hiker missing in Custer County
August 29, 2012 8:39 AM
MATT STEINER
matt.steiner@gazette.com
Rescue crews from five agencies, including El Paso County, are searching for a Colorado man who fell more than 200 feet near Crestone Peak on Tuesday.

Capt. Bob Pruiksma, of the Custer County Search and Rescue, said Wednesday morning that officials are calling the operation a "recovery" as they believe the victim is most likely dead.

Pruiksma said 24 searchers were in the area above 13,000 feet and about 500 feet north of Crestone Peak, following clues given to them by another man who was with the hiker when he fell.

The second hiker called 911 Tuesday and reported the fall to the Colorado State Patrol, which relayed the message to Custer County officials. The accident happened about 9:30 a.m.

The identity of the victim has not yet been released.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Crestones Accident

Post by CO Native »

Prayers for safety for the search crews as this is a horribly dangerous area to search. Also prayers that they are wrong and do find the missing person alive.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

Not cool. Praying they find him alive.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

Good thoughts for those invloved in the search, and hopefully they are wrong about the missing hiker. Stay safe out there guys and gals.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Thoughts and prayers! :(
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Ugh...:(

Stay safe guys!
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Prayers for safety for the search crews as this is a horribly dangerous area to search. Also prayers that they are wrong and do find the missing person alive.
Will do.

This year is a tough one for accidents. :(
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

"Pruiksma said 24 searchers were in the area above 13,000 feet and about 500 feet north of Crestone Peak, following clues given to them by another man who was with the hiker when he fell."

Sounds like it will be a difficult rescue/recovery. Maybe North Buttress.

http://www.gazette.com/news/county-1438 ... -feet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Hate to hear this. My thoughts go out to all those involved and best hopes for a positive outcome here.

That terrain is rough in that area.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

Oh no, I was getting in hope that this year there will be less accidents than those horrible previous two years, I was hoping that lack of snow and pretty dry summer as well as more informations and more prepared people in the mountain may lead to more safety and those new news make me sad. I hope they will be able rescue this climber alife. All of you, please, stay safe...
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Horrible news...keeping my fingers crossed the rescue has a better outcome than it's sounding like.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Freeze
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Freeze »

It is not looking good.

http://www.krdo.com/news/Body-of-missin ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.