Good hikes near Denver foothills!?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Good hikes near Denver foothills!?

Post by edhaman »

Anyone interested in learning more about Colorado's snakes should check out the Lookout Mountain Nature Center and the programs offered by them (part of Jefferson County Open Space). More bull snakes are killed by people misidentifying them, than actual rattlesnakes. Bull snakes can mimic rattling by shaking their tails in the leaves or brush.
TheF79
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TheF79 »

The Lookout Mountain Nature Center is a nice visit, and it's at the end of the Chimney Gulch trail from Golden (if you continue up from Windy Saddle). Starting from Clear Creek it's about 8 miles RT to the Nature Center and back with approx 1700 feet of vert (haven't measured it exactly, but the creek is at about 5700 and the summit of Lookout is 7500). Haven't seen any rattlers on the trail, but I've heard they're around. It's a good trail-run if you're into that and don't mind the occasional downhill-bomber on a mountain bike (Mt. Galbraith is also a good one and bike-free, though a bit rockier to run). The Table Mountains are nice, but aren't nearly as much vertical feet, even if you did both I think it would less than a thousand feet.
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

Ive always liked chief mtn. The trail starts across the street from echo mountain. TH isnt marked. Its about 2 miles rt with 1000 vertical. Really good summit views for an 11er as well.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Say OldSchool, what did you end up doing to finish out your total elevation for the summer?
Ragin Cajun
Chunkroc
14ers: 23  3 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chunkroc »

boudreaux wrote:Goat Mountain in Waterton Canyon, it's a very wild peak with 2300' of gain, a classic ridge run, you won't be disappointed, I guarantee you! The trail starts right at the overhead pipes, just beware of the poison ivy growing in the gulch below the pipes!

This is my favorite training hike, beats Morrison hands down IMHO!

If you want more elevation, you can do Warren to the north, or 7558 to the south, either way you will get some horrible scrub. Consider your future and choose wisely!
Boudreaux - Whats the way from Goat Mountain to Warren or is there another trailhead to get to it. Love the solitude you get on Goat Mountain. Last 2 times up there only saw 2 Hunters, 2 Hikers
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

boudreaux wrote:Say OldSchool, what did you end up doing to finish out your total elevation for the summer?
Sad to say I haven't made it yet.. I took suggested advice and made it a goal of 100K for the year not for the summer. I still have about 20K to go..

But my go-tos in the foothills are Mt Falcon, Green Mtn (Boulder), Bear Peak, and Sanitas. I like Green best for racking up elevation. Sanitas is fun and I finally beat my goal of ascending in less than 30 minutes the other day.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I'm a big fan of the Hogback loop off of North Foothills Trailhead here in Boulder. There aren't too many people on the trail so you can see a lot of wildlife. I've seen coyotes, mule deer, bull snakes, rattlesnakes, prairie dogs, and even a mountain lion while hiking that trail. There is a massive herd of mule deer that live in that area and I typically count 10-35 in a given day. They aren't timid and I have had them come within 15 feet of me while munching on grass. If you get bored with that trail, you can go north and hit up another ridge that is a bit higher (and nobody else goes up there).

Green Mountain via NCAR is my other favorite, especially in winter. I like to take dogs from the boulder valley humane society up there to go hiking. Very scenic trail and typically not very busy.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

Chunkroc, you just plunge down the northslopes of Goat to get to Warren's southslopes and hit that southridge. You can access the westridge from Flat Top peak, but that is from private property and the subdivision is gated, but is doable with a bike! I like doing 7558 to the south of Goat better because you can drop back down to Waterton Canyon Rd on the eastridge which has easy passage through the scrub, the climb up to 7558 is brutal, but at least the drop down to Cottonwood creek is easy.

OldSchool, 20K to go for the year, your almost there, very nice goal indeed. You gotta give Goat at least a try once. It usually takes me about 2.5 hours up and 1.5 down over a 7+ mile RT.

I never seen bears up there, but their sign is common along the trail, I go late morning to avoid any unpleasant encounters, the bear could get hurt, I have lots of gas!!
Ragin Cajun
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Yeah, Goat sounded cool but once you mentioned poison ivy I shut that idea down. I'm deathly allergic to it and I avoid it like the plague. Maybe it would be worth a try though with some snow cover :-D

Green Mountain from NCAR sounds interesting.. I usually use Gregory Canyon TH to Ranger Trail.. I'll have to try some alternate routes!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski