Crestones Accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Re: Crestones Accident

Post by fleetmack »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37207

I've climbed both mountains but haven't done the traverse, is that where the accident was? The above post is the only record I can find of someone from the site planning on being there yesterday...
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

fleetmack wrote:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37207

I've climbed both mountains but haven't done the traverse, is that where the accident was? The above post is the only record I can find of someone from the site planning on being there yesterday...
Hopefully not. The accident doesn't appear to have been on the traverse, but on one of the northern routes on Crestone Peak. RIP, regardless.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

fleetmack wrote:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37207

The traverse is south of Crestone, the accident according the article was north. Probably North Buttress. Could be somewhere near the subpeak of Crestone, I think it's called North Crestone or something like that. It's a short traverse over to it but pretty steep and airy. I wish I would have gone over to it but I didn't.

Not 100% that he is deceased yet. We can only hope he was knocked out and might still be alive. R.I.P. if he did pass.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Scott P wrote:This year is a tough one for accidents. :(
I have not been following these forums for very long, but it seems that this summer has been pretty bad--Windom, Sawtooth, Bells Traverse, Hagerman, and now this accident--are the ones that come immediately to mind. I imagine there are a few more that I don't recall. In general, these aren't inexperienced hikers involved in these bad accidents. It underscores how fickle life can be.
please rotate your device
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

With the increase in the number of people who attempt 13ers and 14ers, it makes sense from a pure probability standpoint that the number of accidents would increase over time. Sometimes the climber can do everything right, and it still happens. Be safe out there everyone.

Prayers and condolences the family of this climber. RIP.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Prayers to the family and friends..........
Ted from TEXAS!
tehchad
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tehchad »

Agreed that this year has been tough; it's been tough worldwide.
Hope he's okay.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Terrible. Just tragic. Peace, comfort and strength to his wife and family through this time.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.