RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kara
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by kara »

wildlobo71 wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:
I don't know what a single word of his senior thesis paper title means. Heck, I don't even think I can pronounce it!
Whereas, I would actually really like to read it. It was awesome that he got to go to BC to do field work, that's such a gorgeous area, and so geomorphically dynamic.
I did a lunch-time search for it, and while I found listings of the presentation, I couldn't find anything showing an actual publication on-line... perhaps it exists in the realm of the internet research databases (pay sites from my understanding.)
The boy works with Rob's company from time to time and I sent him the title when I saw it (the response was, "Oooh!" even though that's not his particular area of expertise). I'm wagering his Mines access would work to pull it, but they are notoriously difficult to work with from my end (kills me when I can't access something--but, but, but...I'm a librarian!) Anyone actually serious about wanting a copy shoot me a PM.
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

bergsteigen wrote:
gregory_fischer wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:Some great news articles about Rob have surfaced this week, but this one really, really takes the cake. I've been re-reading it all morning.

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/news ... php#page-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know what a single word of his senior thesis paper title means. Heck, I don't even think I can pronounce it!
Whereas, I would actually really like to read it. It was awesome that he got to go to BC to do field work, that's such a gorgeous area, and so geomorphically dynamic.
This is probably the same thing Bill found, but this is an example of the work he was doing in college (BC area): http://blogs.dickinson.edu/gis/student- ... rt-jansen/
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Rob's nickname, Dancin' Jansen, made it into this article. I couldn't help but laugh and smile. Thanks to Terry for finding it:

http://www.ncadvertiser.com/11637/rober ... -outdoors/
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
rajz06
14ers: 27  4 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (63)

Post by rajz06 »

SurfNTurf wrote:Some great news articles about Rob have surfaced this week, but this one really, really takes the cake. I've been re-reading it all morning.

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/news ... php#page-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very moving article and gives those of us who didn't know Rob a glimpse into his passion for the mountains, his work, and above all, life. My deepest sympathies to his fellow hikers, friends and family.
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

I went online and looked up Rob's results from the Leadville Marathon he ran this year. He really was an extraordinary athlete. You can see the overall results here. Notice he placed 33rd out of over 500 people!

http://my1.raceresult.com/details/resul ... ormat=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also see pictures of him during his race here:

http://www.zazoosh.com/photos/561022255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just thought some of you may be interested to see this. He was obviously a very talented runner.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

First of all, thanks so much to everybody for the incredible support. I have heard a ton from our close group about some really nice things that people have said, and more importantly, done. I've received a number of messages from people and just haven't had a chance to reply, but please know that I appreciate everything. I've been in contact with Rob's family and they are extremely grateful for everything that people have done.

I'm writing this post to let everybody know a tentative date for a Denver Rob Jansen Memorial. His family is planning on coming out in a couple weeks and have expressed that they want to have a memorial with "all of Rob's friends." They want it to be "as big as possible" and to do it "the way Rob would have done it." The plan as of yesterday is for a 9/22 happy hour, although the date may change to 9/29. I want to reiterate that this is in no way finalized, but please think about what you will be doing on that day and whether you can attend. I will get an event going on FB once the date and location are finalized. Thanks!
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

I as well am sorry that this has happened to an amazing person. I hope for peace to you and your family. I hope for quick recovery for all others involved mentally and physically. May you find strength at this difficult time.
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

dillonsarnelli wrote:After not seeing me in over 6 weeks, he showed up at my front door in March with a 4 pack of Deviant Dales pounders, handed me the bag, smiled, said good luck with the rest of tax season and told me he couldn’t wait to get back out there with me. He wouldn’t even come inside. Just smiled and said he was waiting for me. I will NEVER forget that day. Who does that??!!?!? Robert Jansen does that.

Reading the above, I just have to comment a little bit -

That little story, about such a simple thing, at the same time describes something so incredibly rare. Taking the time to be thoughtful, to be kind, to make someone feel valued and included and important, to give a small gift that speaks volumes beyond its value - so terribly few of us ever actually do it.

Being a father, my soul recoils from the fractional pain of even trying to empathize with his family, so I cannot imagine their grief in the face of this. And that of his friends. Weak as a sentiment is, I hope for peace, comfort and healing for all of you with time.

I think that everyone impacted by losses like this, whether a family member, a friend, or just someone reading the stories, wants to try and make sense of it, to take something from it - if someone who did not know Rob is qualified to offer it, I think that we could all do worse than finding a reason, finding the time and the kindess, to do more things in our own lives like the story quoted above.
Last edited by SuperiorTrailHiker on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

After reading some of his trip reports and the many photos and comments, it's obvious that Rob was talented and had many friends. This loss is very sad.

RIP Rob.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

I had never lost a close friend or family member. Rob was both. As transplants from across the country chasing our dreams, the close friends I’ve made in Colorado have formed a second family. And Rob was by far the closest of them. Maybe that’s because he was the first climbing friend I made out here. It’s also because we shared a passion for skiing and running in addition to climbing mountains. It’s really just because he was such a great friend and a continual inspiration.

Having met in late September of last year at the Fall Gathering, we had yet to share another summit when December’s Denver Happy Hour rolled around. Yet I’m pretty sure one more beer would have had us standing up on the bar and motioning to rename the website “Match dot 14ers dot com.” We’d been running regularly and skiing most weekends.

Over the past few days and with the help of friends, I’ve recounted just about every adventure I was able to have with Rob. We were on a summit together only eight times. From the carefree day on Culebra to the nerve-wracking trip up the Hourglass, I couldn’t help but feel compelled to spend as much time around him as possible. I wish I had tagged along on more of his climbing trips; most of all I wish I had been there on Saturday. But I’m thankful for every memory. On the few occasions Rob wasn’t on a 14er, he was usually still in the mountains. I was lucky enough to join in on some of his other pursuits.

Two memories stand out as my favorites. We skied about a dozen days this past winter, but spent just one on A-Basin’s back side after a “storm” allowed them to open a few runs. The best powder turns of the season were still punctuated by all-too-frequent scrapes. I’ll never forget Rob’s excitement as he practiced jump turns on the west wall of the Montezuma Bowl, then sprayed a few sweeping arcs, then face-planted after hitting a larger than expected “buried treasure.”

The second memory is from the Leadville Trail Marathon this past June. I limped into the aid station at Ball Mountain with leg cramps and seven miles to go. Rob staggered over; having completed the lap around the mountain he had less than four downhill miles to the finish, but looked pretty rough. It was sheer luck we ended up at the aid station at the same time. That was the only time I ever saw him tired. We hugged. I was immediately refreshed. I told him he didn’t look too good so he’d better hurry up and get to the finish. Afterwards he said that seeing me lifted his spirits enough to help him hammer out those last few miles. We both smashed our goal times that day. I knew that training with him gave me an edge I couldn’t have gotten anywhere else. I was thrilled and honored to think I might have returned the favor in some small way.

Looking back is hard. Looking forward is even harder. I know I’ll be thrilled if I am ever able to compile a climbing resume as impressive as Rob’s is. And I’ll be honored if I’m ever able to feel I’m half the man of character and inspiration he was and still is. I’ll keep trying and thinking about him the whole way.
20111203_abasin.jpg
20111203_abasin.jpg (82.91 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
20120630_leadville3.jpg
20120630_leadville3.jpg (220.88 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
HikerCurt
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HikerCurt »

Being a frequent ‘lurker’ on this site I’ve seen many of Rob’s TR and posts. Reading this thread I feel like I’ve gotten to know Rob (and the Brat Pack) as people. What a special young man and group. 14 yrs. ago my 2 year old son died suddenly from meningitis, so I have a glimpse of what Rob’s father and family and friends must now get through. As I lay in bed last night having trouble falling asleep because of this thread and knowing the emptiness and pain that so many people are going through because of Rob’s death brought back the extreme sadness I felt and still feel today. The hole in your heart will never go away, however the experience of knowing and loving this special young man will bring a smile to your face and a change in your life that will last until you see him again. May your friends, family and faith ease your burden and make these upcoming difficult days bearable.
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

BenfromtheEast wrote:
The second memory is from the Leadville Trail Marathon this past June.
Would anyone be interested in running this in memory of Rob next year? I have always wanted to do it, and can think of no better reason than this.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir