coon hill in summer?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

coon hill in summer?

Post by davebks »

Anyone been on Coon Hill in the summer? Is it nice up there? I have only been up there in the winter to ski.
I thought it might be a nice hike/mellow peak, on our way up to the mountains this weekend.
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Re: coon hill in summer?

Post by zoomie83 »

Not in summer but the first week of October. It's a pretty area and the hike is not bad though I never found a trail; about 3.5 miles RT with 1,600 feet of gain and the I-70 noise goes away not too far up the valley. I think I could see the Belles through binoculars. I'd recommend this hike and I've heard Golden Bear Peak across the valley to the east is nice, too.
mike offerman
14ers: 58 
13ers: 189
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mike offerman »

I second that it is a nice hike. I was very surprised at how quiet the area was just a little ways up the valley. Heading west, you can pick up 2 12ers, or head east and pick up "golden bear".
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Cool, thanks. I think well give it a go. we skied it a few years ago and had a blast. It was nice how quiet it gets right off the bat once you come around the bend, and I thought the views were great, but winter is winter. Nice to hear that you think summer will be decent. I figure at the least it's another peak and another amazing day outside in Colorado. Im guessing it will climb like Sherman or Lincoln for the most part.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Great views, lots of wildflowers. Nice hike. Wildflowers might be dead by now though.
SuperPolok
14ers: 58 
13ers: 245
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SuperPolok »

Certainly not a side-trip but last year myself and a friend did a car-shuttle traverse from Loveland Pass over Golden Bear, Coon Hill and over to Ptarmigan and down the trail to Frisco. It's a long but certainly maneageable day. Coon Hill was the most interesting peak of the day if I remember correctly.