Is that a bear in there?

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jerrybeals
14ers: 25 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Is that a bear in there?

Post by jerrybeals »

Back in 1998 I was walking steeply down from Belford after having just done my first two 14ers. It was late in the day, and as I approached the intersection with the Missouri Gulch trail I noticed that the one lone shrub shortly above treeline was shaking like crazy. It had to be a bear. The only reason a person would go in there would be to drop a deuce. And since the shrub was right next to the stream and trail I figured that no self-respecting hiker would break those cardinal rules. What to do? I tried yelling, which made the bush stop shaking. Had the bear run out the other side? Nope. I considered trying to walk around the bush on the talus, but it was slippery and just about to turn dark. So instead I sat and waited for a moment. Then I began yelling some more while simultaneously picking up a few rocks just in case. This dance had gone on for several minutes before I finally heard a voice from the shrub say "Get the f*$& out of here." Gladly. I laughed to myself about my misadventure the entire rest of the walk back to the car.
nfire
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Is that a bear in there?

Post by nfire »

when does the novel version come out?
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

You probably entertained the guy in the shrub with your song and dance routine. :-D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

Thats a FUNIE story!!!
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I think that same guy was in Central Park on the weekend...
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

If the shrub is rocking, don’t bother knocking! :lol:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert