Most 14ers in 24 hours

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
emohr
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Most 14ers in 24 hours

Post by emohr »

I suppose the logistics of doing those 10 peaks all comes down to...... The fact that Paul Ryan has climbed more 14ers than Obama!
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

djkest wrote: Following the 3k foot rule, how would this get done?

Start: Sherman 2 hours up, 1 hour down (+3h)
Drive: Sherman to Decalibron +45m (3:45)
Decalibron from Kite Lake road, possibly coming down the East Side of Bross +4h (7:45)
Drive: Kite Lake rd to Quandary TH +30m (8:15)
Quandary +3h15m (11:30)
Drive: Quandary TH to Grays/Torreys +1h (12:30)
Grays / Torreys from below the parking lot +4h (16:30)
Drive: G/T to Guanella Pass rd +1h (17:30)
Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella pass rd, over to Evans, down on the Mt. Evansroad +4h 30m (22:00 hr)

These are pretty optimistic splits but doable I'm sure. Just my first thoughts. This in itself could be some sort of FKT goal, called "14x10" or something. Would be easier if you started wherever and didn't worry about 3k feet.
Not sure how you word skirt the 3,000 ft. rule with Evans in the mix. Other than that the rule could be standard route TH start.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

djkest wrote:Following the 3k foot rule, how would this get done?

Decalibron from Kite Lake road, possibly coming down the East Side of Bross +4h (7:45)
Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella pass rd, over to Evans, down on the Mt. Evansroad +4h 30m (22:00 hr)

These are pretty optimistic splits but doable I'm sure. Just my first thoughts. This in itself could be some sort of FKT goal, called "14x10" or something. Would be easier if you started wherever and didn't worry about 3k feet.
I think it could be done faster than the above splits by a good mountain runner with a crew. I'd personally do it the other direction to give yourself the option of driving to one of the Sawatch Peaks for #11 :) I think Mt Massive or Elbert would be the only viable options based on driving times.
For Mt Evans, you simply start on the road at 11k and run/hike the road/cutting a few switchbacks to make it more efficient.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

thebeave7 wrote:
djkest wrote:Following the 3k foot rule, how would this get done?

I think it could be done faster than the above splits by a good mountain runner with a crew. I'd personally do it the other direction to give yourself the option of driving to one of the Sawatch Peaks for #11 :) I think Mt Massive or Elbert would be the only viable options based on driving times.
For Mt Evans, you simply start on the road at 11k and run/hike the road/cutting a few switchbacks to make it more efficient.

Eric
La Plata is right there as well if you come down on the Leadville side of Sherman.