Scenic hike @ LOW ELEVATION recommendation!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Scenic hike @ LOW ELEVATION recommendation!

Post by oldschoolczar »

My dad is coming out for a visit this weekend and he wants to go on a hike. I want to show him why I love the mountains and how beautiful this state is!

The only problem is that he's coming from Chicago and he has trouble with elevation... When he's been out here before he says he even notices it in Boulder :|

But I want to take him on a beautiful hike... ideally we'd climb a mountain. I think he'd be fine on anything up to 10k. He's in great shape.. probably better than me. We could even go a little higher if it's less strenuous of a hike. Maybe something up to treeline with a pretty view? I was thinking of taking him up the first part of the Holy Cross hike just so he could see Mt of the Holy Cross. Bison Peak in LCW was another ideal one, but that might be a little too long above 10k...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Scenic hike @ LOW ELEVATION recommendation!

Post by Jay521 »

Long Scraggy isn't all that high and has nice views from the top. There are several TR's on it on this site...

Edit - I guess there are only 2 reports. But it is a fun hike. You might also consider Eagle Rock and/or Observatory Rock. Both are fun and have great views.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

What about Mt. Evans from Summit Lake? It's 5 Miles / 2000' of gain, and really pretty fun with out being very strenuous. It's also not too steep, so you're not gasping for air.

Just a thought.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

If you are not looking for a peak, I'd any day recommend the Isabelle glacier area. Very scenic! And its mostly close to 10K without much gain.
Last edited by TheOtherIndian on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
oldschoolczar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

ameristrat wrote:What about Mt. Evans from Summit Lake? It's 5 Miles / 2000' of gain, and really pretty fun with out being very strenuous. It's also not too steep, so you're not gasping for air.

Just a thought.
I was kinda thinking about this. It's pretty high, but I think it's short enough for him to hack it. He could always turn around..

I just have to talk him into it now! He had a bad experience flying from sea level to 9,500' one time and now he's scared of elevation.. but he's got retreat options here unlike there...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

I just took my kids (5 and 2) up to Gem Lake in RMNP last weekend. Great hike. It's the first time I'd been to the Lumpy Ridge area and I would compare it to Lost Creek on crack. Amazing rock formations and overlooks out to Estes Park and Longs Peak. Leaves should be peaking (or close to it) also. Short hike, but a longer loop would be to go beyond the lake down to Cow Creek and then back by The Needles. You never get above 10k (Gem Lake is at 9,034). Gem Peak and the Needles are both class 3(+?) scrambles and the Needles is 10,068.

Here is a pic of the lake and the view of Longs

Also, you don't have to worry about park admission as the TH is 100 yards outside the boundary. Here is the quad map. One thing, if you head up there this weekend the road to the TH is closed so there is a detour that goes up Dry Gulch Road (directly north of Lake Estes) and picks up Devils Gulch Road north of the TH (just turn left at the end of Dry Gulch).
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Sniktau is easy from Loveland Pass. Greenhorn is easy and gives you views of the Sangres. It's a drive but Conejos Peak is easy and has amazing summit views.
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

If your Dad is anything like my Dad then peaks are now out of the question, he just doesn't have the lungs for it. If you are in Boulder I would do Isabelle Lake trail first or something like that to see.
plantmandan
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by plantmandan »

+1 for the Lumpy Ridge area.
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

For me, a big part of the attraction of mountains is getting above treeline. That's hard to do if you want to stay below 10,000'. That said, and extending the 10K limit a bit, I'd go with Lake Isabelle or Blue Lake in IPW, or continue on from the Lake Isabelle trail up to Pawnee Pass. The Summit Lake suggestion is also reasonable, and it doesn't even have to include Evans. You could just do Spaulding &/or Graywolf, but maybe you want to do more than that.
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
oldschoolczar
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Hey thanks for all the recs here!

I ended up taking my dad up to Blue Lake in IPW and he really like it. Also made it up to Gem Lake near Estes this weekend as well. Both really nice. Some fun rocks to scramble on up near Gem Lake! Thanks again...
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski